• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger Powertrain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Not interested in the added initial cost, maintenance costs, fuel costs and general inconvenience of a diesel. I don't tow on a regular basis either but I still want a reasonably sized truck that can handle 7000 lbs when I need it to without all those issues.
IMO the 2.7L EB would have been perfect in the Ranger. They have already said they modified the frame to accept drivetrains for this market.
They could have gone one step further and hit a real home run with the Ranger but so far it sure looks like they have chosen not to. They already use the 2.7 in several much lighter vehicles than the Ranger. It's not considered overkill in those vehicles.
The only logical explanation for why Ford has chosen not to offer that engine in the Ranger is to protect F-150 sales. If you're not comfortable with the idea of a 2.3L EB in a 4x4 crewcab occasionally towing at it's max rating in mountainous terrain then you can either buy a truck that is bigger than you need 90% of the time or you can shop elsewhere.
What lighter vehicle uses the 2.7 eco ?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Edge/Fusion and their Lincoln relatives.

If and when the competition steps up their game the 2.7 is ready. Until then why force the competition to step up their game too rapidly when you already have a powerplant that will outdo theirs? And in the meantime the 2.3 will do more to improve their fleet mpg ratings.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
edge and lincolns...

something else was supposed to get them and never happened...I think it was the cop things...

the 2.0 turbo escape is a bad ass lil mofo....those are rated to tow over 3 k.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
it took 18 minutes for that to post:shok:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
I doubt a Ranger diesel would sale well here. I have no doubt the new Ranger will sale well with the 2.3 eco and 10 speed and I wouldn't be surprised if Ford has a hard time keeping up with demand. A regular cab STX with 3.3 would be great.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I doubt a Ranger diesel would sale well here. I have no doubt the new Ranger will sale well with the 2.3 eco and 10 speed and I wouldn't be surprised if Ford has a hard time keeping up with demand. A regular cab STX with 3.3 would be great.
The diesel Colorado is supposed to be selling well, Ford finally decided the diesel half ton game was worth getting into... it might go over better than you think.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
What could possibly be the benefits of a 4 cyl. turbo diesel over the 2.3 eco in a 'midsize' truck that Ford admits is not a 'work truck' ?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It would really come down to usage. For most of us there wouldn't be a significant benefit. If you're driving it heavily loaded, towing on a regular basis, or putting down tons of miles, the diesel's advantages come into play more quickly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What could possibly be the benefits of a 4 cyl. turbo diesel over the 2.3 eco in a 'midsize' truck that Ford admits is not a 'work truck' ?
They also keep saying it will have class competitive or class leading towing... right now the Colorado is sitting at 7700lbs.

Diesels are a cash cow for fullsize trucks, people pay ridiculous amounts of money for the maintenance heavy things.

I am not really sure what Ford meant with their "not a work truck" thing. Most of what I would consider a "work truck" are F-350 or heavier. Their beloved F-150 in the commercial/farming world is more of a "supervisor truck".

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Question - are you sure they've used the word towing, not payload? I was watching a portion of the press conference again the other day and realized that they referred to class leading payload capacity at the time.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
PHP:
Question - are you sure they've used the word towing, not payload? I was watching a portion of the press conference again the other day and realized that they referred to class leading payload capacity at the time.
I remember that at the time, I was like that is such a fuzzy statement. It could go either way depending how much the guy who wrote the speach knew about trucks.

I am 98% sure their noncommittal response was "class competitive or class leading" when we talked to the Ranger team. There are a few articles out there that say Ford seems to go a long with that.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/2019-ford-ranger-preview-article-1.3754965

Notably, Ford also claims the new Ranger will offer segment-leading towing capacity. If that’s true, it will need to exceed the rating for the Colorado and Canyon diesel models, which is 7,700 pounds.

2000sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Higher maintenance costs. With all the emissions crap on diesels anymore, they aren't the engine they used to be. Ask anyone that had a 7.3L then traded for a 6.0L or 6.4L. Biggest mistake they made. They can't give a 6.0 away unless it's had thousands of dollars poured into it, 6.4 is a little better, but still has problems, 6.7 verdict is still out. A low mileage 7.3L will still sell around the $20K mark. I frequent a farming forum, you'd be surprised how many farmers are switching to the 6.2L gas in their F 250 and F 350's. Gas, tires and drive the wheels off of those they say. Most have well over 200,000 miles on them and that's all they've had to do to them plus maybe a set or two of brakes. They say they pull like a 7.3L did. They got fed up with EGR's, Def, and whatever else was always costing on the newer diesels.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Higher maintenance costs. With all the emissions crap on diesels anymore, they aren't the engine they used to be. Ask anyone that had a 7.3L then traded for a 6.0L or 6.4L. Biggest mistake they made. They can't give a 6.0 away unless it's had thousands of dollars poured into it, 6.4 is a little better, but still has problems, 6.7 verdict is still out. A low mileage 7.3L will still sell around the $20K mark. I frequent a farming forum, you'd be surprised how many farmers are switching to the 6.2L gas in their F 250 and F 350's. Gas, tires and drive the wheels off of those they say. Most have well over 200,000 miles on them and that's all they've had to do to them plus maybe a set or two of brakes. They say they pull like a 7.3L did. They got fed up with EGR's, Def, and whatever else was always costing on the newer diesels.
Corn going from $7+/bu to $3/bu has a lot to do with it too. There are a lot fewer King Ranch farm trucks and a lot more XL's and XLT's around here lately. A few years ago they never got out of warranty before being traded back in so nobody cared, it was either buy a new truck as a farm expense every few years or give the $$ to the govt in taxes so a lot dumped it on new stuff.

Now row crop prices are back at 1970's levels and everybody is upside down on rapidly depreciating farm equipment and farmland... not many new farm trucks period.

As far as high maintenance, DEF and all that, they eat it up on their equipment. That might be changing too though, I saw this morning in the Missouri Farmer Today they were dissing older tractors and planters compared to new... odd they felt the need to pick on 40 year old stuff. Kind of like if Ford came out with a deal saying how much better the new Mustang was than a 1973 Mustang...

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Increasing the towing capability over 7,700 lbs under J2807J is a quantum leap:

The "exemplar trailer for ≤7.7k lbs is Well Cargo TW163 rolling on tandem 205/75R15 tires and having a frontal area of 40 ft^2.

The "exemplar trailer for ≤10k lbs is Well Cargo EW2025 rolling on tandem 235/80R16 tires and having a frontal area of 63 ft^2.

So, if Ford wants an 8k lbs number to out-do the Colorado, they are using the larger trailer for their tests...

Upgrading payload would just be a 3,750lb rear axle rather than the Colorado's 3.5k lbs.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Upgrading payload would just be a 3,750lb rear axle rather than the Colorado's 3.5k lbs.
Some of the more recent Ranger spy photos showed what looked like the same Dana M220 rear axle as is used on the Colorado.

The brown NAIAS show truck appeared to have the same axle as the current T6 which is not the M220 but I wouldn't put too much stock in that since they did admit that the show truck was pretty much just cobbled together and not representative of an actual production vehicle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals