• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. LearningStick

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

I finally junked it and bought something else, automatic, bigger, and not a Ranger. So I may be done here. But I would like to eventually drive a smaller pickup, like a Courier, LUV, etc.
  2. LearningStick

I wanted at least an estimate, so I took it to the one collision guy who was willing to consider a rusty frame repair. He said the whole frame is too rotted to repair, but what's left can still last a long time. I tried to spray some Rustoleum, which the wind blew back. I may put it on...
  3. LearningStick

I had a look underneath and noticed some new stuff. A spring leaf broke. There's a foot long rust hole in a frame rail. I studied welding almost twenty years ago, but I never ran a bead overhead while lying on the ground. My memory of what I studied is sketchy. A strong weld probably requires a...
  4. LearningStick

How do you heat your garage come winter time?

A heated garage is more livable and soon it's not a garage anymore. :(
  5. LearningStick

Sigh. So many delays. It sat for most of a year. My first choice of mechanic couldn't get parts for it and said it's not worth repairing. It has some issues I didn't spot at purchase. Another mechanic said one repair could be over a thousand with making one new part. My brother said he could...
  6. LearningStick

Rental cars

The decision to get a fullsize sedan was mostly financial. Anything bigger starts at an extra $200/week, plus extra gas. The Camry's seat hurt my butt with 10 hours of driving daily. I couldn't add a cushion because the steering wheel was too low. It has too many nanny features. The worst is...
  7. LearningStick

Ok guys, lets see your project lists....

I moved stuff out of a closet and put a bike in the closet, to move it away from a window where I may later put furniture my cat can sit on at the window. In open window weather, all windows should have cat seats. I may eventually build a very basic cat tower, if I don't find anything at a...
  8. LearningStick

Rental cars

What I've determined so far is don't get a Nissan or anything taller than a car. Rollover is a serious risk on twisty mountain roads and maybe also the prairie crosswinds. Tires matter but I don't see that mentioned at any rental site.
  9. LearningStick

Rental cars

I will need one for a long drive, probably a Toyota Corolla or Chevy Malibu, the midsize and fullsize sedan fleet models with CVT. Whatever I get will be much newer than anything else I drove, my first CVT experience, and my first mountain roads experience. If they are approximately equal in...
  10. LearningStick

Pickup bed lengths (and width)

The little car still does the heavy hauling with 800 pounds of people. I like pickups for mostly bikes and furniture.
  11. LearningStick

I drove it to a garage for work. My manual driving instructor was not available and the tires look more suitable for street racing than snow, so that was more challenging than I wanted for my first drive. It stalled a few times. People were waiting behind me at a stoplight through a few cycles...
  12. LearningStick

Tasteful mods / updates

My cupholders are too far forward and low, next to the stick. More cupholders in the armrest or somewhere might be the only mod I ever do.
  13. LearningStick

My first manual

That is part of the optional work. The brake cable is missing. I saw a brake dragging tendency mentioned here.
  14. LearningStick

My first manual

I see a future of more walking, biking, horses, and trains, and less automobiles. Part of that future is automobiles becoming much simpler, to reduce the energy consumption of making and transporting the parts. One example of that simplicity is a manual transmission. I bought a 99 Ranger to...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad