• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. ab_slack

Steering Rack lines

My 2002 Explorer 4wd V8 has developed a leak at one of the lines on the steering rack. It is one of the two metal lines that connect between the left and right ends of the steering rack. I see these sold as part of the steering rack, but not as separate items. Can these lines be...
  2. ab_slack

2002 Explorer 4.6L dies when warm

An update on this. Turns out to be a fuel problem. Pretty obvious when I was able to get a pressure gauge on it. I opted to replace both the filter and pump as I only had time to deal with it once. Either could have been causing it.
  3. ab_slack

MAF sensor and fuel trim values

Final update. I don't know if it appeared in the troubleshooting, but ultimatly found two issues that were interacting. First is the connector for one of the O2 sensors had come in contact with the Y pipe and melted shorting some connections. After connector replacement that kept some codes...
  4. ab_slack

02 Explorer 4.6L coolant

I've been using the Prestone conventional "green" coolant forever but discovered yesterday when I went to pick up a gallon that none of the places I frequent carry this, they instead offer a cooant for "all vehicles" that claims to be compatible with all coolant types. I hate change and am...
  5. ab_slack

Thanks for diag tip. As I have researched fuel pressure regulator, I discovered what you said, that it is a single line system and that it has a fuel pressure stabilizer instead of a regulator. After letting it cool down it started with pressure floating between 40 and 50 psi just sort of...
  6. ab_slack

Was away for awhile but back. After some thought I was thinking fuel pump cause of how it ran till turned off. Got myself a fuel pressure gauge, got some baseline info when running well. Key on no crank it went ton 10 PSI Key off then on, no crank went to 40 PSI Key off then on, no crank...
  7. ab_slack

I fixed what I found
  8. ab_slack

Certainly high miles at 312K though only 160K on this engine. The components around are mostly original factory.
  9. ab_slack

Great idea. I have checked for leaks, found a couple minor ones, there doesn't seem to be anything big, but it is a nice simple check. I suppose the only problem with the test is that tthe engine stalls anyway at idle although when it stalls it seems to flood the engine.
  10. ab_slack

2002 Explorer 4.6L V8 Chasing a problem where vehicle seems to run fine but when keying off then trying to restart after a 10 minute drive it dies. I am trying to understand the fuel trim values as relates to being lean or rich. I did get a P0171 code at one point suggesting lean, likely a...
  11. ab_slack

there is a relay and I just swapped it with the blower mower. Both the same part number relay. If that was an issue it should make a difference. There are so many things interacting it is hard for me with my limited experience to find a solid footing. I have learned lots, found some vac...
  12. ab_slack

Thanks. I didn't think of resetting the KAM after I did the fix on that one melted O2 sensor connector which involved replacing the sensor as well. So that maybe that is related? I swapped out the plug and coil on cylinder 1 for the new today to eliminate that. All the coils and plugs were...
  13. ab_slack

That is what I have been reading. That it is one of those three causes. For diagnostic purposes I did exactly what you said and disconnected the fuel injector and coil pack for cylinder #1 and it wouldn't stay running. On a few past occasions, I've had to run on 7 cylinders including one...
  14. ab_slack

The codes went away. But if you see my other follow-up post, after most of a week of a bunch of small trips and four 50 mile trips...a new problem with stalling that threw a P0351code. When cold it ran fine and at least one warm up didn't re-occur. Not the most reassuring when I have a...
  15. ab_slack

It worked for a couple hundred miles fine and then I started getting some hiccups. Now it starts and runs, but not quite right, after a minute it gets very rough and stalls. After a few instances it spit out a P0351 code. Ignition coil A primary secondary circuit. Is coil A cylinder 1...
  16. ab_slack

Just a follow up. Replacing the connector and O2 sensor seems to stop it from stalling. I had a couple hiccups after but that may have been from a hill climb and low fuel.
  17. ab_slack

What would I be looking for? I can't really drive it any distance right now since it dies as soon as it warms up
  18. ab_slack

Seems to start fine and run fine till it gets warmed up then suddenly runs rough and stalls. My guess the issue is when tries to get into closed loop operation. Prior to this, about 4 days ago I got a CEL and P0174 code, later P0171 as well but it was continuing to run well. I was getting...
  19. ab_slack

2002 Explorer Trans Drain/Fill

Okay, I am pretty certain I been losing some trans fluid. I've been thru this in the past so know the drill. My issue is I am unable to get the fill plug open so it looks like I have to pull the full drain/fill plug. Simple enough but I what I am finding for a replacement doesn't seem to...
  20. ab_slack

Axle shaft slip joint

Looks like I finally need to pull apart my right axle shaft again as the final u-joint has gone. Since I'll be pulling this apart, for the slide joint (not sure of proper name) on this axle shaft, what is the proper type of lube/grease that should be used. And while I am under there I think...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad