• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 91 4.0 into 89 2.9

I have read most of the swap articles on this board about this swap. I found a 91 ranger with a 4.0 that I can get for cheap money to swap for the tired 2.9 in my sons truck. Since they are both gen 1 trucks would this be a plug and play swap? The 89 has a CEL. Thanks for your input.
  2. 4.0 swap preliminay question

I can't seem to get the ticking to stop in my son's ranger. I have started considering doing the 4.0 swap. I read somewhere on this site that on some of the later model 2.9 trucks this swap is a drop in affair. His truck is an 89. Would I be in for all the wiring nightmares I have read about...
  3. how warm should pig be?

I was working on my son's truck this weekend and had driven it for about 10 or so miles. When I pulled it back in the pole barn and got underneath it the rear diff was pretty warm to the touch. The axle is from an 88 so I am guessing it is a 7.5. It has 4.10's and a limited slip. Before we...
  4. High idle

My son's ranger is an 89 with 2.9. I can't see to get the truck to idle below 1000 rpm. I have read that the idle air bypass can get dirty. What is involved in cleaning it? When I unplug it the truck slows down a little bit but still seems to high.
  5. Can't get a firm pedal

After our 4x4 conversion the last issue is the brakes. The brake light on the dash has been on since we swapped the axles and bled the brakes. i'm thinking that the low fluid switch in the master is bad. That wouldn't be so bad but the pedal is quit soft and the it doesn't seem like the...
  6. engine ticking cure

The 2.9 in my sons truck has been ticking since the engine overheated and cracked the heads. I replaced the heads and have tried a bunch of different, cures to correct the ticking. Everything from STP, Rizlone, Marvel Oil even flushing the engine twice. Never could get the ticking to stay...
  7. 1350 manual indicator switch issue

Ok so I replaced the single post switch with the brand new from Ford $40 two post switch in my son's truck last night and hooked up the wires. I now can get the 4x4 dash light to work but it does not turn on the low range light. I tightened the swith into the top of the t-case as far as it...
  8. ticking and question on lifter replacement

My son's 89 ranger had the cracked head overheating problem. We put new heads on it and all is fine with the cooling system now. The motor sometimes ticks really bad and others not at all. I have flushed it once and put different additives in the oil that claim to quiet noisy lifters...
  9. Brake light on.

After our 4x4 converson and the intitial bleeding we still have a soft pedal and the brake light is still on. The 2wd had and electronic unit where the speedo cable went into the transmission. The new cable that hooks into the t-case uses an old style gear drive. Would the brake light be on...
  10. 89 4x4 Conversion results

After about 3 weeks, countless busted knuckles and lot of swearing we finally rolled out my youngest son's "new" truck. My oldest got this truck to drive when he got his license 2 years ago as a 2wd. We have gotten most of the bugs out of a 20 year old truck over the last 2 years. My...
  11. roof mount light bar quick disconnect

We picked up a great deal on a roof mount light bar and 4 6" lights. The bar mounts to the gutter above the windows. I have two questions. How to most of you get the wiring out the top of the truck to roof mount bars? Anyone come up with a quick connect way to do this? We want to be able...
  12. pass side outer axle shaft

I trashed the passenger outer shaft trying to get a really rusty u-joint out. Been trying to locate a replacement with no luck. Any idea where I can find that part? Front end is from an 88 Ranger.
  13. What is this sensor??

We are doing the proverbial 4wd swap on my sons truck. When we pulled his engine from his 2.9 there was a wire going to a sensor on the side of his oil pan. The engine from the 88 donor 2.9 didn't have one. What is this for?
  14. transmission install question

My sons and I are doing the 4x4 conversion on my youngest boy's 89 ranger. We have swapped the cradle and have the motor sitting on the mounts. Last night we tried to install the A4LD. We got the tranny up to the motor and lined up the studs in the convertor with the flex plate but couldn't...
  15. carrier questions

We swapped into my sons ranger an axle out of an 88 4wd ranger. The code on the door jamb was F7 indicating it is a 7.5 with 4.10 gears. I checked the ratio by turning the input shaft until it turned one of the axles shafts two revolutions and it took just over 4 turns. Seems like 4.10 to me...
  16. transfer case from 86 bronco II help

I got my hands on a transfer case from an 86 Bronco II that was attached to a 5 speed along with the adapter section with the shifter mounted to it. Will this work in my son's 89 ranger behind an auto trans? After looking in the tech library the t-case looks like an NP205.
  17. electric transfer wiring diagram

Does anyone have one?
  18. 4wd conversion questions and electric transfer case

Not sure if this is the right place for this. My sons and I are about half way through converting a 2wd 89 ranger to 4wd using an 88 donor truck. We have all the drive train removed. We are trying to get the wiring out of the old truck for the transfer case controls. We have the harness from...
  19. 2.9 lift points for removal

We are getting ready to pull the 2.9 from our donor truck and was wondering where to attach the lift chains on the engine. Would hate to wreck something by hooking up to the wrong place.
  20. tire size on stock rims

I need to know if after I install a 4" rough country lift on my sons 89 will 33X12.50 tires on stock rims rub? The wheels we have are from a mid 90's ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad