• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

04 ranger 4wd conversion

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys,

So I have a 04 edge that I am wanting to make from 2wd to 4wd. Been doing a ton of research and really just wanting to post another thread here for a check list to see if I’m missing anything.

So I’m going to need
3.0 M5R1 4x4 transmission
BW1354M transfer case
Front diff, axles, knuckles, manual hubs, front driveshaft.
From what I’ve read the front diff will bolt in minus 1 bracket that will have to be welded in for a 3rd bolt. I don’t think I will have to worry about a speed sensor since it should stay in the transmission? What else am I missing. I can get a 99 ranger 4.0 4x4 donor truck for very reasonable.

Please don’t give me any scrutiny over selling this truck and buying another ect…. This is is very sentimental to me and my grandfather helped me purchase it as my first vehicle and he has recently passed so I will not be getting rid of it and do not need another vehicle parked in the yard.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 4.0 and the 3.0 do NOT have the same bell housing bolt pattern.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
is the 99 donor a manual transmission? if yes, you can swap the tail housing and output shaft into your 05 manual tranny.

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Yes the 99 is a manual and I do know the bell housings are different but the internals are the same. Never have busted a transmission apart. So how big of a job is it to change the rear output shafts?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the innerds are mostly the same.
3.0 has a lower 1st gear than a 4.0 so the input and lower shaft are different.
swapping the output shaft involves taking the entire gearset out, pressing stuff off/on.
haven't done mine yet, I'll defer the others for further details.

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
the innerds are mostly the same.
3.0 has a lower 1st gear than a 4.0 so the input and lower shaft are different.
swapping the output shaft involves taking the entire gearset out, pressing stuff off/on.
haven't done mine yet, I'll defer the others for further details.
Ill keep my eyes peeled for a transmission lol

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Swapping out innards and tail shafts is something I plan to do *one day*. I need a 2.3 4x4 trans. I have a spare 4.0 4x4 and a 2.3 2wd.

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Swapping out innards and tail shafts is something I plan to do *one day*. I need a 2.3 4x4 trans. I have a spare 4.0 4x4 and a 2.3 2wd.
Is there anything else that I’m missing?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@Cblev323 : Why do you want manual hubs? (Just asking) With the CV joints in the '98+ Rangers, there is very little difference in fuel economy, and the parts don't really wear out
U-joints in the earlier TTB wore out, so you can make a case for manual hubs for them; SLA axles, not so much.​
That said '99 Ranger 4x4 would be the truck you want for manual hubs. Otherwise, you would be converting to '98-99 knuckles/hubs/drive shafts to be able to.
And if you're sacrificing the '99 for the 4x4, you would be able to remove the bracket for the 3rd bolt to reuse in yours.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You should drop by with the transmissions and let me operate on them :cool:

I've been interested in going this and it would be much more fun on someone else's parts.
I have rebuilt 1/2 dozen T5s - either broke drag racing with my Mustang or converted to S-10 output to put into Ranger with shifter close to stock. So, its not as bad as I was making it sound.​

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
@Cblev323 : Why do you want manual hubs? (Just asking) With the CV joints in the '98+ Rangers, there is very little difference in fuel economy, and the parts don't really wear out
U-joints in the earlier TTB wore out, so you can make a case for manual hubs for them; SLA axles, not so much.​
That said '99 Ranger 4x4 would be the truck you want for manual hubs. Otherwise, you would be converting to '98-99 knuckles/hubs/drive shafts to be able to.
And if you're sacrificing the '99 for the 4x4, you would be able to remove the bracket for the 3rd bolt to reuse in yours.
so the 99 truck owner is a life long friend of mine. I’ve been around that truck for the past 15 years. He started losing coolant and the rack and pinion started leaking and it’s been parked for about 5 years now.

reason I’m saying manual hubs is the vacuum lines and it being controlled from an electric transfer case and not familiar with that swap due to the electronics.

my truck has 4:10 gears I’m guessing due to it being a 3.0. His has 3:73s so I will either have to find a 4:10 front diff or use the front and rear in mine but not sure how it’ll do with the 3:73 and 285/75s

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll assume you already have the 285/75s.

The GEM (General Electronic Module) controls which controls transfer case, vacuum hubs, air bags, cruise, etc, etc won't be compatible between '99 and '04. So, you are right track to be looking for manual transfer case.

As you are staying with the 3.0, yes, you want to stay with 4.10:1 gears - little V-6 likes its revs. The most likely candidate for 4.10 differential is a 4 door Explorer/SportTrac (Ford often installed lower gears to make up for the extra weight). Therefore, I would be looking at entire front axle, i.e. differential/axles/knuckles/hubs/front driveshaft. (I'd use the parts from your friend's truck as "cores" to recover a little $$$) You can put your parts back in his truck, so it is still a roller.

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
I'll assume you already have the 285/75s.

The GEM (General Electronic Module) controls which controls transfer case, vacuum hubs, air bags, cruise, etc, etc won't be compatible between '99 and '04. So, you are right track to be looking for manual transfer case.

As you are staying with the 3.0, yes, you want to stay with 4.10:1 gears - little V-6 likes its revs. The most likely candidate for 4.10 differential is a 4 door Explorer/SportTrac (Ford often installed lower gears to make up for the extra weight). Therefore, I would be looking at entire front axle, i.e. differential/axles/knuckles/hubs/front driveshaft. (I'd use the parts from your friend's truck as "cores" to recover a little $$$) You can put your parts back in his truck, so it is still a roller.
I was thinking it would be a nightmare to even try to make it electric so manual will suit me just fine. Appreciate your response.

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
So 2 other questions I though of is is there a difference in the cross members for the transmission and transfer case and what drive shafts should I need to be looking for if I decide just to start sourcing parts and use the other truck as a beater?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals