• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

04 ranger 4wd conversion

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If I remember correctly, the Edge is just a 4X4 Ranger without all the 4x4 drivetrain stuff. So, the cross members should be the same. The transfer case mounts to the back of the transmission in place of the tail cone on the RWD transmission. If you can get your hands on some anerobic RTV, that would be best sealing the transfer case to the transmission, if you aren't swapping out the whole transmission.

If you have another Ranger you can look at to compare, that would be helpful to make sure there aren't any missing holes or brackets but I would think it would be cheaper for Ford to just take a 4X4 frame and just not install the drive train components than make something special for what was essentially was a limited run product.

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
*UPDATES*
I finally got the twice as heavy trans and t-case in. Pulled the original trans out in about 40 minutes with a buddy and it was a breeze. The new one with the t-case is a monster compared to the 2WD one. Man was it heavy. I did remove the tail pipe and muffler at the flange but left the y pipes in place so didn’t have to mess with that stuff. Put 2 new u joints in a shaft I pulled from a standard cab 04 4x4 and the t case flange is bigger. So I’m going back tomorrow to swap flanges from the 04 with the donor 99 ext cab truck and get that in. The 04 flange yoke is 3” center to center and the 99 t case bolt pattern is 2.5” center to center

My next question…… I have a output shaft speed sensor?? That was on the tailhousing on my 2WD trans. The 99 4x4 trans doesn’t have a spot for one to go. What will be the fix for this issue? Or has anyone ever ran into it. I can’t seem to find a lot about it.

So I’m working on something that might actually help a lot of people out but won’t know until I get everything in, but I’m working on building a relay scheme and modifying an original 4x4 dash switch to use the 1354e t case. If everything works out good that might help others in future swaps if linkages for manual t cases can’t be found which was my issue. I will keep everyone updated with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals