• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'07-'11 Rangers due to be recalled

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You been asleep for the past 10 years? :icon_confused:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
How are they still expanding it? They've known what the problem was for years, and they knew what vehicles got the faulty inflaters. How are recalls still being added to a problem from more than a decade ago? They fixed my truck in 2017.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
How are they still expanding it? They've known what the problem was for years, and they knew what vehicles got the faulty inflaters. How are recalls still being added to a problem from more than a decade ago? They fixed my truck in 2017.
controlled bleed.

dump it all on Takata at once and it can kill the company with no one else to quickly step in to start cranking out replacements. Consumers then get nervous about their car's dash possibly exploding in their face and no one to fix it.

dump some here and there, and it allows other companies to step in to help with manufacture and gives Takata some room to fix their crap.

AJ

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
But Takata is gone anyway. They went belly up in 2017.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
But Takata is gone anyway. They went belly up in 2017.
see the point on allowing other businesses to step in and gracefully (somewhat) keep things going without panicking everyone about having their dash explode in their faces.. a big sudden dump of billions of faulty airbags has everyone nervous. dump them onto the population in chuncks, the people aren't nervous because they didn't get a notice about their car. a year later, all of a sudden ohmygosh my car has been "expanded" into the list! by that time even if the original manufacturer (Takata) is gone, others have geared up to take its place.

with this in effect, those that cant get their airbags replaced due to no way of remanufacturing billions of units at once are less likely to sue the automakers if they do have their dash explode in their face with a letter confirming it. meanwhile, those that do not have the letter confirming the recall drive along blissfully unaware they have a fragmentation grenade in front of them until/ unless they are unlucky enough to have it go off. those are then "looked at" and maybe another round of recalls go out, but so sorry.

a case for you.... I submit Clifford the big Red Dog (aka my wifes now deceased 2009 Tor Red Dodge Charger) it got the recall for the *Driver side* airbag shortly after all this came out. took several months to get parts available for fix. when they got the part Dodge called us and we got it replaced. fastforward a year... we get the recall for the passenger side. so tell me... as you pointed out above, they knew at the getgo... why weren't both identified as bad and replaced at the same time? answer, they played the odds game. odds were the car if it were in an accident might not have a passenger in it, but definitely *would* have a driver.

This fact bore them out, in 2019 I was in an accident that totalled out Clifford. let me tell you, eating a properly functioning airbag is not pleasant, I can only imagine if It had not been replaced. No passengers, so even though it was replaced, it didn't go off

Play the odds, Control the bleed.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I see your point. There was no way Takata was never gonna make it out of this intact though. No matter what, the shear global size of their screw up was too big to overcome. They got sued by just about every country on earth.

I can understand slowly doing the recalls. I read all the original details about the recall and what/why the inflators went bad. Humidity and heat was the major factory in if/when the inflators began to deteriorate. I don't know if they applied recalls using this fact (regional recalls in hot humid places first, cold dry places last) but that would seem to be the logical choice instead of saying ok lets do the passengers side now and the drivers side in 5 years or vice versa even though we know both are bad.

I only had my passengers side airbag fixed. Never got a notice about the drivers side. If I get a notice that they are now recalling the drivers side I'm gonna be pretty pissed off by the shear stupidity of that...

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I see your point. There was no way Takata was never gonna make it out of this intact though. No matter what, the shear global size of their screw up was too big to overcome. They got sued by just about every country on earth.

I can understand slowly doing the recalls. I read all the original details about the recall and what/why the inflators went bad. Humidity and heat was the major factory in if/when the inflators began to deteriorate. I don't know if they applied recalls using this fact (regional recalls in hot humid places first, cold dry places last) but that would seem to be the logical choice instead of saying ok lets do the passengers side now and the drivers side in 5 years or vice versa even though we know both are bad.

I only had my passengers side airbag fixed. Never got a notice about the drivers side. If I get a notice that they are now recalling the drivers side I'm gonna be pretty pissed off by the shear stupidity of that...
i believe you can go to NHTSA and enter your VIN to see if it needs a recall. maybe you got lucky and the driver side was sourced from a known good batch... but in case the notification missed you for whatever reason and the Ford Tech's were just in tunnel vision to replace only the one on the recall letter that you brought in... NHTSA should let you know if yours needs replacing.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’ve had just the drivers side replaced on my 2011 in 2018/2019.

I’ve also head they they were using new, but still prone to the defect, airbags to replace the original ones. This give them a bit more time before they deteriorate. Then later going back and replacing them with non defective unit to solve the problem.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I wasn't aware that they even had an issue with the driver air bag...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I wasn't aware that they even had an issue with the driver air bag...
I've had issues with a lot of driver airbags over the years.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
i believe you can go to NHTSA and enter your VIN to see if it needs a recall. maybe you got lucky and the driver side was sourced from a known good batch... but in case the notification missed you for whatever reason and the Ford Tech's were just in tunnel vision to replace only the one on the recall letter that you brought in... NHTSA should let you know if yours needs replacing.
I got the notice of the recall only for the passengers side along with a letter stating something along the lines of - "we don't have the parts to fix this so kindly screw off until we contact you again, please don't try to disable the airbag in the meantime you idiot."

Then about 8 months later I got a second letter stating they finally had the parts in my area but I had to call my local dealer so they could order the parts for me...

Then about a month later the dealer finally called back to say they had the parts and to make an appointment to bring the truck in...

Then about another month later before I actually got said appointment and had the truck fixed...

So about a year passed between the recall notice and the repair and I was hopeful that was the end of the stupidity...

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I find it weird that they recalled them already but didn't do it all at the sametime. My truck is the last year without airbags so I guess in a way I lucked out with the airbag fiasco.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I’ve had just the drivers side replaced on my 2011 in 2018/2019.

I’ve also head they they were using new, but still prone to the defect, airbags to replace the original ones. This give them a bit more time before they deteriorate. Then later going back and replacing them with non defective unit to solve the problem.
We did the drivers side first, the recall had us replace what used to be called the ignitor but was renamed the inflator to make it sound safer. The right side complete air bag was done in 2018-2019. Recalls aren't a negative thing, they're free new parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals