• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

07 level II YELLOW submarine

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
For some reason I have it in my head that the FX4 came with the big torsion bars. I have the code F bars and put the heavy AOR bumper and skid plate on my truck. It would benefit a bit with the bigger bars. I'm not planning a max crank of the bars... just favor the higher end of the spec for some additional tire clearance... and the code 1 bars will just handle the heavier load better.

I'm not a fan of Illinois myself... and it's getting closer to time to leave. That place you posted sure has a nice shop... but out of my price range. I'm not sure I could handle the heat down in Texas... everytime I was there... it was brutal.

61350 is my zip... I will take them if they're code 1... let me know the damages.

Thanks in advance...

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Hey sorry to bug you again, but which coilover brackets did you wind up using?
PJ 412,

The gent retired from making the kits. However.....as you can see and read, hopefully you can extract what exactly I did. I would start with the shocks. And then shop for some already fab'ed shock mounts, which are out there. The upper is simply a closed heim mount, and the bottom is the same except the designer decided to wrap the lower otherwise flat "foot" around the edge. So the kit came with one of those "closed" mounts for the top, and flat type or "open" for the top of the lower A arm. The shock heim spacers you can get from any desert racing supply house, https://www.kartek.com/
The gussets are simple some cold roll plate, 1/4" thick x 3/4" x ~ 4 & 6" long. Or...you can show the picture.

1684173199559.jpeg

The guy making these has retired doing any more currently. But like I mentioned, with the shock in hand you can see what has to be fabricated. It is actually ( I hate to say this) a "bolt on" modification. Except that the shock tower must be strengthened as shown. As far as the expected skill set, you should already know how to weld 1/4" steel. A 240v MIG machine would be required as my Hobart 140 required a few extra passes with flux core wire. I miss my Miller 350. Let me see what the shock PN was and I'll post it here. - Doug

1684173297537.jpeg

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
PJ 412,

The gent retired from making the kits. However.....as you can see and read, hopefully you can extract what exactly I did. I would start with the shocks. And then shop for some already fab'ed shock mounts, which are out there. The upper is simply a closed heim mount, and the bottom is the same except the designer decided to wrap the lower otherwise flat "foot" around the edge. So the kit came with one of those "closed" mounts for the top, and flat type or "open" for the top of the lower A arm. The shock heim spacers you can get from any desert racing supply house, https://www.kartek.com/
The gussets are simple some cold roll plate, 1/4" thick x 3/4" x ~ 4 & 6" long. Or...you can show the picture.

View attachment 92389

The guy making these has retired doing any more currently. But like I mentioned, with the shock in hand you can see what has to be fabricated. It is actually ( I hate to say this) a "bolt on" modification. Except that the shock tower must be strengthened as shown. As far as the expected skill set, you should already know how to weld 1/4" steel. A 240v MIG machine would be required as my Hobart 140 required a few extra passes with flux core wire. I miss my Miller 350. Let me see what the shock PN was and I'll post it here. - Doug

View attachment 92390
Thought that looked like a me00stepside kit.

Let me know on the part numbers for the coilovers if you don't mind... good to see what the options are.

And have a Miller 212 in the garage... good on a welder. :icon_thumby:

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15

Let me know on the part numbers for the coilovers if you don't mind... good to see what the options are.

FOX link.....https://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=offroad&t=shocks&partnumber=980-02-006

1684175357660.jpeg

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Hi again all,

You all probably seen this in the into section. Looking forward to having this well used but not so bad looking FX4 Level II Ranger getting some upgrades. Starting with a set of Rancho 5000x shocks. Cheap $$. Don't know anything about these except the suspension really needs some attention. Waiting for the last one from UPS on this Sunday.

I was at the FORD stealer to get a set of new keys because my wife uses her fingernails to operate the remote buttons and the blister style button construction just does not like to be stabbed, as I included. Also, I inquired about what the FORD factory dealer parts department was asking for a new FORD emblem......$48 + tax. For the advertisement, should of been free. The whole crew never ever even heard of a level 2.

View attachment 48757
A nice looking truck. love the custom headlights, fender flares, and wheels.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Grump,

1684175447403.jpeg

I'll put together a 1x4" wood box & use pirateship.com. They weigh 12 lbs ea. $35 shipped UPS ground.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Hey Lefty, It's all stock except for those headlights, the coilovers & the Chrome Zarape hangers. I get comments at the gas station, folks honking, and I just turned down an offer for $12,800, paid $7000 three years ago.
:))

Last edited:

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15

You got it...It's is one of me00stepside's kits. Very well made. I got mine with no powder coating.
-Doug

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
@MaicoDoug

I guess I don't see a code 1 on that bar. Unless I'm not looking at it right. But I don't see a B or an F. Do they measure the right size?

I'll take them either way... they have to be bigger then my code F bars.

I'll send a PM with my address and see how you want to receive payment.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
@MaicoDoug

I guess I don't see a code 1 on that bar. Unless I'm not looking at it right. But I don't see a B or an F. Do they measure the right size?

I'll take them either way... they have to be bigger then my code F bars.

I'll send a PM with my address and see how you want to receive payment.
Uncle Gump, they measure, sure deal, 1.09" dia.

1684179766184.jpeg

I see "FA" and the left notation with an arrow. The right bar also shows the "FA", and the right arrow. There was a sticker, but it's long

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My #1 bars have FA stamped on it as well.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
My truck with the bumper and skid plate adds I would guess 65 to 70lbs. It will benefit from the big bars... carrying the extra load and still a decent ride.

20221127_081012.jpg

Gonna spend a minute tweaking them and calling the front suspension good. If I need more... I would probably do a one inch body lift. I want to be able to run these 33's.

20230507_095155.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My truck with the bumper and skid plate adds I would guess 65 to 70lbs. It will benefit from the big bars... carrying the extra load and still a decent ride.

View attachment 92402

Gonna spend a minute tweaking them and calling the front suspension good. If I need more... I would probably do a one inch body lift. I want to be able to run these 33's.

View attachment 92404
You might get away with a T-Bar crank but I suspect you will need to go to a lift to get the tires to clear properly. The body lift might just be worth it to avoid getting a rough ride from too much t-bar crank.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yeah... I have zero plans for maxing out the bars. I think you can favor the upper limits of the factory spec on ride height (m aybe even push it a little)... and still be reliable and not wearing things out.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Thanks Uncle Gump. I'll start in very soon and get these in the mail before the end of the week. We got a bunch of rain yesterday. Actually everything has been flooded now for a month straight, and then we get another 5 inches in an afternoon. My driveway is becoming history. Just finished an 18 inch x 20 foot culvert installation on Easter weekend. Then last night, just behind me a stone's throw, there was bridge that got washed out.

Nice truck Gump. I like the traditional round lights. Looks good, works good. Hopefully not made in china. The bars are still 99% factory painted. The'll be clean when they arrive.

33s? Dang, my F-150 can barely fit (w/ no lift except a 2" lift in front ) those Generals, Red Letter tires (there back). Dang they work great.

Thinking of building a 2wd pre-runner like the one in the video posted.

-Doug

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals