• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

07 ranger not working in 4x4

vroomzoomboom

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i was doing a search, and couldnt find anything (unless i looked in the wrong place, or typed the wrong thing in). 07 ranger will not engage into 4x4. when put in 4hi or 4low, the lights in the dash come on, it will go into 4low, but the front will not engage. i had the front end up off the ground and if i spin either tire the axle shafts will spin, along with the front drive shaft. i dont hear any ratchet sound either. i thought it had the wonderful pvh's but after searching that idea was tossed out. what else should i look for/at?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If the truck was shifted into 4WD when you had the frontend raised up and you observed the driveshaft still turns, then something in the transfer case for sure isn't working.

Where I would suggest starting is by removing the shift motor from the back of the case and try to spin the little shaft around to both the 4HI and 4LO positions and see if the front drive is engaged then. If so, you simply have a shift motor issue (not uncommon on these trucks). If it still fails to engage the driveshaft, then there's an internal problem with the t-case.

vroomzoomboom

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so to update this, the motor is working fine. was able to see the fork inside engage when put in 4x4 (could see it move looking in the full hole). both hubs are fine. so i pulled the case and took it apart (well, i didnt take the case apart, my buddy did that knows more about them then i do) and two gears have started striping. we could also hear it clicking when it was in 4x4 with the rear tires spinning, and the front tires locked with the brakes on.

my buddy said he has never seen that style of gear before (he was a shop foreman for ford but that was over 10 years ago now, but he's still pretty smart at it). according to the info he has, one is a lockup hub (ford basic 70164). the other is a shift collar hub (basic 7100). now what i also want to know is what other 1354 case's will have this same gear? for one of them, ford wants $250! this is from once again a 07 4L ranger. also, can anyone also tell me if one is available after market, or is this a dealer only item.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You aren't too likely to find t-case guts after market. Go to the local u-pull and get a whole case. It will cost less than the parts to fix yours.

vroomzoomboom

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
wow, that was fast, lol.
was hoping you wernt going to say that. finding a case for the same year up here (canada) wont go cheap. any other years inner change?. i have a case from a 98 explorer from my truck just sitting from when i did a v8 swap in it, but i highly doubt the parts from it will work.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Actually, I'm thinking an 1354 from about 98 on up should match what you need.

vroomzoomboom

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
if that is the case, then that is a game changer to the plus side. thanks, i will look and see on monday when everyone is open.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals