• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'10 2.3 slow coolant leak around water pump

adrew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My '10 (2.3-liter, 5-speed, XLT, reg cab) has 1900 miles on it -- after washing it the other day I noticed a very slow coolant leak that is coming from somewhere around the water pump. I can't tell if it is coming from the pump itself or from between the pump and engine (gasket).

It's barely ever wet and mostly looks like dried up sediment where it has run down the timing chain cover and evaporated. There's also some white misty-looking stuff on some of the wiring and other components in the area where I assume it's gotten onto the pulley and been flung off.

I know it will be covered under warranty but I am just curious what this is, if it's a common problem with these trucks and if I'll need to watch for it in the future. I love the thing otherwise -- for MPG I am getting mid 20s in the city and low 30s on the highway.

It was hard getting a picture but you can kind of see it here:

DSC_4639-1 by Adam_d_, on Flickr

The truck:

ranger by Adam_d_, on Flickr

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
It's either a gasket failure, or the pump has failed. If it is under warranty, have it fixed with a new pump or new gasket. I would use a dab of fingernail polish to let me know whether I got a new pump or just a new gasket. Don't just let them dump some sealant into the system, it will only work so long.

phoenixheat_2002

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
wow, I can't imagine that the waterpump would already be bad. does the truck overheat at all?
Can you tell exactly where it's leaking from (weep hole?)? I'd put my money on some lazy a-hole at the factory not putting enough RTV around the pump when he was installing it on the assembly line.

and.. good idea about the nail polish. great way to tell what the mechanics do/don't replace.

adrew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, the coolant gauge never goes above about 1/3 of the way up. I've been monitoring the coolant temp with my ScanGauge and it stays around 190-200*F.

I'm going by the dealership this weekend to have them take a look at it and order the part. Just kind of bummed out it is having problems this soon.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, the coolant gauge never goes above about 1/3 of the way up. I've been monitoring the coolant temp with my ScanGauge and it stays around 190-200*F.

I'm going by the dealership this weekend to have them take a look at it and order the part. Just kind of bummed out it is having problems this soon.

It's only a problem if you have to pay for it!:D It's just an inconvenience.

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2010 with around the same amount of miles. I haven't noticed anything yet, but I'll keep an eye open for problems like that. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully its just a fluke, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

adrew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dropped it off on Sunday night and they had it fixed by 3 PM on Monday afternoon. They replaced the pump because it started leaking when they did a pressure test...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals