• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1000 kms on ball joint!?!?!

bigpotato555

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok I install my 4" superlift on my 07 level 2 with 33 tsl...and drove it about 1000 kms....

Went for an alignement...and I need 4 ball joint...which are 500$ for lifetime waranty here...

I wonder if it's "normal" the truck as 57 000 kms...or I am going to change them at every 1000 kms or so?

Since the ball joint goes out so fast I am scare the rack and pinion might let go also...

**** I am so piss should I install new ball joint and hope for the best or just burn the ****ing thing down?

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so...you are pissed that a cranked t-bar on 58K km's old ball joints have worn out......

well, have you cranked them over the 1.5"-2" that is recommended?

and yes bigger tires will definately wear out suspension parts sooner....not every 1000 km's though....

worse thing for balljoints is overcranked t-bars...

l8r, John

bigpotato555

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wish they were cranked that would explain the problem but the t bars are normal crank the lower control arm are level...

caser876

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck has 70,000 on it now and I've already replaced the lowers at bout 55kmi and sometime this week i gotta put an upper in it. Rough roads will kill ball joints, and I really doubt the rack will get hurt, the tie rod ends are whats going to wear.

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
you should of replaced your balljoints when you installed the superlift, at least the lowers. Just get good moog balljoints that you can grease

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I had ball joints crap out on a stock Ranger and my previous Sport Trac when the trucks were still on warranty.
Point being that the lift kit may not have had anything to do with it.

bigpotato555

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thx guy I feel a little bit better if it happen before...guess ford screw up on that...but being a ford guy I'll just buy moog lifetime waranty and hope for the best...

camodown want kind of other issues did you have with 35 on the truck? rack and pinion? axle? driveshaft? wheel bearing?

I am thinking of removing the lift and puting back the 31...I don't want to put 500$ of maintenance on it everymonth!

i guess the ifs are 10 times weaker than the ttb...

Last edited:

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't had many problems, I changed my lower balljoints when I put my RCD on and I had to change my rack and pinion but that was when I was running 34's. Still have my stock upper BJ's, tierod ends and wheel bearings. I changed my driver side axle bearing and both axle seals when I put in my extended cv's.

and I have the superlift driveshaft so no problems there but if you still have the stock front shaft it will go out eventually

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals