• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1977 Pinto

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had an old VW bus, a buddy needed it gone and I gave him a C spot for it. I can;t recall for sure if it got driven or drug but it got home. I am not certain what happen to it after that, but that fella was a buddy for life, not sure where he wound up, but we worked together and he was always good help, and a great friend

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thinking out loud, spitballing...

The engine (1990 2.3) was built for salt lakes racing in a ranger using mechanical fuel injection. I suspect upper rpm would be in the 8,000 or higher range. I also have a 2bbl carb and efi (welded shut holes) manifold I could use, which would probably be easier driving on the street.
I have an 8.8" with 3.73, 4.10, or 5.13 ratios to pick from.

-I have the original 3speed automatic that came with the car. Probably a c3.
-I have an m5od behind a 2.3 in a 93 ranger.
I don't have money to rebuild the c3 but maybe it's good enough for now. Only way to know is use it.
Or, I adapt the m5od into the pinto, along with the hydraulic clutch system. I'm not too sure how hard that would be, I haven't done anything like that before. Tho I think I have the tools and tenacity to accomplish it.
But perhaps there is an easier, better, still somewhat cheap alternative standard or automatic that I don't know about...
Anyone have ideas?

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Stick with the C3.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am pretty sure the C3 didn't have a lock up torque converter. You will be losing power because of that. I would be looking for a good manual transmission.

I had a 73 Pinto Wagon with the 2.0L engine and the manual transmission. I owned it for 16 years and drove it very hard when I was behind the wheel. It was very reliable and was not a powerhouse but was not a dog either. I drove one like it with an automatic and must say it was close to being a dog.

When we bought it, my wife didn.t know how to drive a stick. I convinced her that it should either have a stick with A/C or an automatic with no A/C. She decided the A/C was more important. It did not take long to teach her how to drive a stick and she eventually enjoyed driving with a manual transmission. That came in handy when we got a FJ55 Landcruiser for off-road adventures.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
C3's did not have a lock up convertor or overdrive. They were a 3 speed automatic that evolved into the A4LD, 4R44, then 5R55. The only real weak point was the lip seal on the reverse/high clutch pack but when the seal tore, it lost reverse and 3rd instantly and didn't burn anything up. The front pump requires and alignment tool to reassemble, unlike most other transmissions. Do you want an automatic or a manual?
I've never cared for the M5OD, if you want to use it because you own it I can respect that. I'd prefer to bolt a T5 out of a V8 Mustang in there- the 4 cylinders used a 3.95 low in the T5 and the V8's used a 3.35, making the gear spacing better. To put a T5 in my Mustang II, I clamped the front bearing retainer down in our brake lathe and machined .060" off the outside diameter. I used the bearing retainer and input shaft from a 94-5 Mustang to gain length and make it compatible with the deep Mustang II bell housing. I cut a little length off the bearing retainer tube, too, but don't remember how much. 1/4" maybe? The stock clutch cable worked fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals