• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 diesel ranger

mazda96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
really nice project. Ive been wating for long to see another diesel project. 4d55 performance since you have a lot of knowledge on these engine I'd like to know what would you sugest to give specific attention to will buying one of these engines. thanks

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
That's definately a great little project. I think getting a different body is the only way to go. I am a little concerned you may have purchased the wrong starter off EBAY. I know alot of the starters on ebay are listed incorrectly. If you have any questions about that little motor I will do my best to help. The Mitsubishi 4D55 is kind of uncommon in the Rangers but parts can still be had.
You were right about the starter,:sad: but I made it work. Took the nose cone off my old one and put on new motor.:D I think I'll See about getting the other motor rebuilt. From looking at the motor looks like what happen is was ran for long time without sufficient amperage. The brushes were melted not worn out. Just something for anyone who has one of these it has 2 battery trays for a reason....:icon_idea:Use them:icon_idea: OK that's my rant for today.:icon_cheers:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi with
Engine Size
2.3 Turbodiesel
Transmission
Manual
I would still recommend getting the correct starter. There is a huge difference in amperage between the two starters and the last thing you want to do in mess up the teeth on your flywheel. That flywheel is obsolete and they are very hard to come by. The flywheels on the Mitsubishi pickups is different than those found on the Ford Ranger. I know alot of parts stores say they have these flywheels, but trust me, they are obsolete.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi with
Engine Size
2.3 Turbodiesel
Transmission
Manual
really nice project. Ive been wating for long to see another diesel project. 4d55 performance since you have a lot of knowledge on these engine I'd like to know what would you sugest to give specific attention to will buying one of these engines. thanks
There is no glaring weakness on the engine that some one needs to be aware of. The thing that needs the most attention is keeping the engine cool by changing the oil religiously and flushing the radiator every year. Also Change the timing belt every 40K miles and never take the previous owner word that it was changed recently.

Expect to rebuil the turbo and the injection pump, these items are typically neglected. The turbo typically needs a rebuild every 50k miles. The injection pumps needs to be rebuilt every 100K miles. Having a properly functioning injection pump is key to to maximizing fuel milage.

If you do a compression test you should see all the cylinders at 400-450 psi and all the cylinders should be with in 10 psi of each other.

The best compression tester I have found for these engines is the "el cheapo" from Harbor Frieght.

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
4d55, I was planning on get the original rebuilt just did what I did so I could start and move with out pull starting all the time. I greatly appreciate the info. Do you know of a good place to get pump and turbo rebuilt? I was looking at your build and I have a question about the water cooled turbo upgrade you did. The turbo can get up to 2000 F on a hard pull what keeps the coolant from vaporizing? or am I not understanding right. do you have any books on this engine? if so I would love to get a copy of it. i know this is long but you have give me good info. will have many more questions of that I am sure.

Last edited:

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
man i would kill to find a diesel ranger!!!!!

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum!

I'm very interested! I would love to find out more.
Thanks for the welcome I'll update when i get a chance to do somthing. Been working alot of over time. AS far as wanting more Just ask If I can help I will:icon_thumby:

Diesel Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the same exact pickup, just different color... First of all, go to LMCtruck.com and get a ranger catalog... In that you can get the whole turbo assembly, waste gate and all I think 700... and I may be wrong, but they should also have the starter... Be fore warned getting new glow plugs for this at a descent price is a b@#%$... But through LMC you can also get the glow plugs for the earlier diesel ranger and they work...

DON'T ORDER THE ONES THAT SAY THEY'RE FOR THE 2.3 DIESEL... if they still list them? I did, got the wrong ones, talked to customer service and they spent a week looking before they said they can't find any manufacturer who makes them...

You can also get them through ford if you feel rich and have nothing better to spend it on, but anyway have fun with it :icon_hornsup:

Oh, and I noticed in your picture that your also missing the A/C compressor clutch, mine had fallen off... Just thought you should know

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Diesel Ranger. I've had a order for a catalog in to LMC for a while still no catalog yet. The starter I put together is still working but I'll get the correct one. I am going to transplant the drive train in to my 88 will do a frame up on it. I got to get the injection pump off and get it rebuilt leaks bad around linkage. I saw the A/C thanks, will work on getting that right to. Do you know how to set pump timing? I can take the pump off but when I get it back how do you time it? I guess I'll try and find a manual for this thing.

Diesel Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No problem, no i'm not sure how to get the injection pump timing, but i do have a chilton for the 2.3 diesel ranger, or at least i think it's a chilton laying around my garage somewhere. I'll grab it and if it does i'll post it...:headbang:

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
No problem, no i'm not sure how to get the injection pump timing, but i do have a chilton for the 2.3 diesel ranger, or at least i think it's a chilton laying around my garage somewhere. I'll grab it and if it does i'll post it...:headbang:
Hey Thanks, That would be great.:yahoo: I'm looking for one found one on amozon but they want a lot of $ oh well:icon_cheers:

hotdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 ranger die
Transmission
Manual
Nice unit,I had one exactly like it good little truck.Bought it new in 85 had to order it in,waiting sucked!! The little truck and I parted ways when we started a family[,not much room in those cabs].A couple of years back I was browsing ebay and I spotted one,couldn't help myself.Today it takes me back and forth to work and I love it.Did lots of reasearch and up grades over the years.If you have any questions will be glad to give some help.

Tks.

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Found this PDF file for the 4D55 engine. Scroll down to page 15 to see the timing proceedure (special tools required though).

http://asaha.com/download/WNjUyOQ--

Had a leaky throttle shaft on ours too and had to get the pump rebuilt. There is a special repair proceedure depending on how badly the upper throttle shaft bushing is worn. Some machining work on the case might be needed. If you are lucky, its just a case of a dried up seal.

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
Thanks

Thanks David85, Where did you get your pump rebuilt? I think mine is moor than a seal it very loose. I was thinking about pulling the engine apart to inspect and replace all gaskets and seals but don't want to do that before I can find a gasket set. You don't know where to get one do you? I think the diesel rangers were better received in Canada, don't find many around here. Most people don't even know they exist. Thanks again for info. Tyring real hard to get this thing started, I just want to try and find most of the parts I need before I tear it down.:bye:

mazda96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I've seen a complet rebuilt kit once for the 4d55 that included all gasket bearing and ring etc. and was about 400$. it was in a catalog but I think the brand was something like canada hi performance discount I'm not sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals