• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 bronco 2 won't start

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gave some one a jump start and my dumb ass hooked the jumper cables to the starter selinoide and then the trucked died like it does some times and know it won't start back up. smoke came from other vehicle but it started right up.
Started does not make any noise to even try to move. Just get a clicking noise from the starter selinoide.

Have replaced battery and starter selinoide and still nothing.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
I'd almost be willing to bet you fried the computer... manual or auto? I have a 2.9 manual trans ECU I'd part with...

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Its in auto

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How about the cable between the battery and the solenoid? To verify you could put a test light or voltmeter between the battery ground post and the solenoid's positive stud from the battery positive while trying to crank it over. Should be over 12v. If it is you should check for 12v while trying to crank over at the solenoid stud that connects to the starter. Hope you get it going.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its not the computer. Got it started and running. but won't hold a charge and sending power through the tail lights when the switch is turned on and with out the engine running. not sure what that could be. it has me stumped.

DunnZach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre V-6 Cologne
Transmission
Automatic
Well from my own experience, I have learned to never put jumper cables on the selenoid. Heres why: As your Alternator rotates, it makes an electromagnetic feild in turn producing an electrical charge. This said charge passes through your positive battery cable and your starter causing them to work. Before this charge is passed along it is cycled through the voltage regulator to step it down to a more manageable and stable state of electricity. So, with that said, When you applied those jumper cables, it created a shorter route for the electricity to ground meaning that it skipped the voltage regulator and went straight to your selenoid. So, the current coming from your alternator passed the regulator jumped to the other person's battery, and made a sudden ground hence shut off your truck, and most likely fried either your cam sensor or your coil, and possibly your CPU control module. it's happened to me. I've learned my lesson. Good Luck! -- Zach Dunn.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a Bronco II that had a bad voltage regulator. The symptoms were:Over charging the battery at 17 volts and boiling it dry; drawing the battery dead overnight. The regulators purpose is to create a controlled ground path for the alternator's field windings thereby controlling the rate of charge. If it shorts to ground like mine it will draw current thru the windings all the time since the opposite end is connected to 12 volts. Voltage regulators don't cost much and are easy to replace.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
will try that and hope it works or else i am going to buy a bronco not the bronco 2 i seen a full size one for 1200 bucks with less rust than this b2 has.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well from my own experience, I have learned to never put jumper cables on the selenoid. Heres why: As your Alternator rotates, it makes an electromagnetic feild in turn producing an electrical charge. This said charge passes through your positive battery cable and your starter causing them to work. Before this charge is passed along it is cycled through the voltage regulator to step it down to a more manageable and stable state of electricity. So, with that said, When you applied those jumper cables, it created a shorter route for the electricity to ground meaning that it skipped the voltage regulator and went straight to your selenoid. So, the current coming from your alternator passed the regulator jumped to the other person's battery, and made a sudden ground hence shut off your truck, and most likely fried either your cam sensor or your coil, and possibly your CPU control module. it's happened to me. I've learned my lesson. Good Luck! -- Zach Dunn.
Well i would check those but for some reason the battery is connected directly to the starter seleniod and not to the voltage regulator.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a Bronco II that had a bad voltage regulator. The symptoms were:Over charging the battery at 17 volts and boiling it dry; drawing the battery dead overnight. The regulators purpose is to create a controlled ground path for the alternator's field windings thereby controlling the rate of charge. If it shorts to ground like mine it will draw current thru the windings all the time since the opposite end is connected to 12 volts. Voltage regulators don't cost much and are easy to replace.
I unhooked the alternator and the power still goes through the tail lights with out having the alternator connected. And on top of that i can't even find the damn voltage regulator. All the books and sites i have found about the 87 b2 says it is on the passenger firewall and well the only thing there is relays and the starter solenoid.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
These things can get frustrating believe me. I'm sorry if I lead you astray. My 84 b2 had an external regulator on the drivers side firewall but my 88 has an internal regulator. When you say not holding a charge do you mean that the alternator is not charging at 14+ volts or is the battery just going dead while sitting? One other thing, does your B2 have the lamp out monitor on the console?

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
These things can get frustrating believe me. I'm sorry if I lead you astray. My 84 b2 had an external regulator on the drivers side firewall but my 88 has an internal regulator. When you say not holding a charge do you mean that the alternator is not charging at 14+ volts or is the battery just going dead while sitting? One other thing, does your B2 have the lamp out monitor on the console?
No it don't have a lamp out monitor on the console.
I mean i can jump start it and it will run and if i turn it off it won't start back up like it is not charging.

So far i got it to start and run but tonight i almost got it to start back up when i shut it off but then it was like something said stop and then i heard the clicking of the starter solenoid. I let it run for about 20 mins before shutting it off to see if it would start back up.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'd be willing to bet you fried your ECCM.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If i fried the computer it would not even start and nothing would even come on at all. the computer controls everything. like the radio,fuel pump,and all the other electrical devices that are under the hood so i doubt that i fried the ecm.

It still has power when i jump start it to drive it around just does not start back up when shut off for some reason.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Have you tried disconnecting the pos terminal? That would tell you if the alt's working. Then if that will atleast eliminate that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals