• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 2.3 Sputtering/Missing Problem

Red88XLT

Reaction score
The 2.3 in my 1988 Ranger has a sputtering problem I hope someone can help me get to the bottom of it. It only does this when the engine is in the normal temperature operating range, wont do it cold, and the rpms are under 3000. What will happen is if I push the gas peddle more than say 1/4 of the way down the motor starts to sputter, miss, buck, and generally fall all over itself. Any ideas guys? Its really pissing me off because i bought the truck to use as a hauler/work truck and this problem makes it a little difficult.

nkhockey09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds like an timing issue or a spark issue did you check to see if you have spark on all plugs

travisl1345

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i had pretty much the same problem with my 87 make sure cam timing is dead on and that your ignition timing is at 10* like its supposed to be.

that cleared the problem up on mine

if that doesn't i've also been told from a friend of mine who works on these alot for races that sometimes the crank timing pulley will spin a bit making the timing on everything else be off just a little bit. good luck

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Either timing or a fuel problem.

Had the truck been sitting a while before you purchased it?

And man why has there been so many 2.3 problems lately?

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Either timing or a fuel problem.

Had the truck been sitting a while before you purchased it?

And man why has there been so many 2.3 problems lately?
i jsut fixed this with mine, i have bad primary coil, no spark, com[puter runs to default timing, i think you only have one coil if not distributer, so check your coil, unplug the plugwire one at a time at the coil and holdthem 1/4 inch from terminal if you see spark problem is elsewhere, if not then fix it. also when you time the motor pull the jumper plug in order to set cam timing right, this will throw you way off.... andclean fuel injectors, not the bottle'o'crap solution either, take them out get some q tips diesel or kerosene and clean them biatches. after that i dunno

racechaser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 ranger
Transmission
Manual
Please share what the solution was please.

St Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 / 7 / 8
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what was the problem

this forum doesnt work if you dont tell us what the solution was that finally fixed it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals