• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 2wd trans crossmember mounts?

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just noticed while I was under the truck today the ends of my transmission crossmember are shot.

They are so rusted, I can't tell if there is supposed to be a bushing in there or if it's all one piece. Also, does this crossmember serve to make the frame more rigid, or just support the transmission?

Regardless, I can't seem to find any replacement parts.

Is this my only other real option?

Thanks in advance!

[Edit]
Just found this.. Link to diagram Looks like they are not replacable bushings.

Maybe there is a flat bar type that bolts to the frame in the stock location. I'm not crazy about drilling into the frame..

Last edited:

bluovaldude

Reaction score
That looks like the SD tranny crossmember. That will work just fine for you.

Is your truck 2wd or 4wd ? I believe that might make a difference, but if you got 2wd it will worj just fine for you.

Alot of the lowered Rangers actually run them you gain some more ground clearance.

Also if you have access to a welder you can fab yourself a mount to fit in the factory location, or you can get the universal type sold from Summitracing.com

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup it's a 2wd..

I couldn't find anything like that on Summit, unless I was searching for the wrong thing.

Even here on the forum a search for "crossmember" doesn't turn up what I was looking for. Is there another name for it?

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
if your brackets on the frame are still good,you may want to ask one of the junk yards hounds out in California. *hint hint* we cant have cool guns so we got rust free cars instead lol

if your brackets are rusted out you could use more of a solid mount to the frame cross member from a 4.0L truck. Sorta like the once you posted except it wraps around the outside of the frame rail on the right side.

if the you have the abilities to weld, you could build something like the skyjackers cross member for the tranny pretty easy and cheap.

if you mount the tranny 100% solid you will want solid motor mounts too, or you could end up with cracked trany case or a chunk of your block torn off.

just some other options.

Last edited:

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you mount the tranny 100% solid you will want solid motor mounts too, or you could end up with cracked trany case or a chunk of your block torn off.
But would I be safe to use a bar type crossmember and the stock rubber mount?

As simple as that bar looks, I think I might check out a local fab shop. I'm betting they could make me something fairly inexpensive.

It's just a daily beater, no off roading or nothing. Totally stock aside from a K&N filter. :)

bluovaldude

Reaction score
If you are wanting something simple... the crossmember you shown in the post will work just fine for you.

But then again you can also check out the local junk yard, and maybe find something thats still in good shape.

But if you are checking on summit, look under the transmission crossmember, I believe it is in the chassis section.

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are wanting something simple... the crossmember you shown in the post will work just fine for you.

But then again you can also check out the local junk yard, and maybe find something thats still in good shape.

But if you are checking on summit, look under the transmission crossmember, I believe it is in the chassis section.

From Summit did you mean the universal ones that you weld together? I did find those ones.

For the price I think I'll just get that one from SD or have a local shop fab something up for me.

-Mike

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a difference in the 2WD and 4 WD members? I just remembered I have a brand new zero rust factory peice in my stock pile and I think one used one but I know my 2 DW 87 needs one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals