• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 B2 Conversion using 2000 Explorer 302

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks... I have planned for the motor mounts, oil sump, power steering, etc but this whole PATS thing has got me rattled. I have a line on a NOS 96 ECU for the 5.0 with 4R70W (AOD) and I've already scored a fuel rail off a 97 5.0 explorer. The engine and trans harness is proving to be a bear. I'm in Illinois and the temp is like 10 degrees right now so our outdoor junkyards are covered in snow. Is there a site where replacements can be purchased?

Also, will shifting over to a non-PATS ECU and harness also solve the VSS issue I've been expecting to deal with or is the benefit solely eliminating the anti-theft system?

I'm sure I'm going to run into a hundred more questions but I just don't have anyone local that has been down this road.

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The oil pan bolts "might" work, depending on if your donor has the steel pan vs the aluminum one. I know I have a couple of '97' XDT2 computers I've had for 4-5 years as well as a '96' take-off engine harness from a crate motor if you have trouble finding them. I just went thru many pages on PAT's info, did a search using PATs and Rwenzing's name, found a bunch and SVT has it pretty well nailed down with the requirements.
Dave
I am interested in both actually... I have a line on an ECU but the wiring harness I know is going to be a bear for me. I'm from Dallas but in the military and now in Chicago... which happens to colder than a witches titty right now and the outdoor junk yards are a no-go! If I were home I would be good... I think!

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks SVT... I did read about the CPS. Part should be readily available...

Thank you guys for the info... I was starting to regret the decision to make the leap. Now I feel good about going home tonight - my ole lady would have eaten me alive!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You will reuse your Speedo sensor that's in your dummy case, since your still running a cable operated Speedo...

SVT

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another word of caution, make sure the trans and ECU are of the same year or very similar. A '97' ECU is a no-go with a 99-2000 trans from what I remember. Someone else here ran into that problem. Best check.
Dave

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That could be a problem then... If the 2000 trans and pre-98 ECUs aren't compatible then using one with a 96-98 wiring harness to fix the PATS issue is a fruitless effort.

I guess what I need to know moving forward is what exactly do I need to buy to either a) make the donor driveline work in the bronco II as is without a new ECU, harness and fuel rail or b) what ECU and harness do I need to buy to eliminate PATS? I'm not against using the donor equipment and buying a tuner to turn PATS off if that is even an option but I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and then learn the hard way it won't work together.

Sorry for the persistent questions but I'm ready to fire on this deal and want to strike while the iron's hot... thank you in advance guys.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will reuse your Speedo sensor that's in your dummy case, since your still running a cable operated Speedo...
SVT
Would OP be able to convert that 2000 trans to cable operated spedo, stock, I thought signal was from rear end and digital? His is the 2000 4x2 version and not using the B11 dummy case. Seem to remember someone pulling the tailshaft and adding drive gear, provision existing in case to mount VSS or cable mount. Way too many little "got-ya's" mixing years and such.
Dave

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Dave.

I am keeping tally of all the little issues I expect to deal with. I'm in this one and once I start I have to work through it. I plan to use a 2000 W302 with the GT-40p heads and 4R70W trans, a 96 engine and trans harness, a 97 ECU, and a 97 fuel rail.

I know I'm going to need to swap the fuel rails, re-pin the trans harness, convert to a gear driven speed sensor off the tail shaft, change to a 3-wire CPS, get a new oil sump and bolts and possibly change shift solenoids in the tranny...

I can work through the other little issues but what about the GT-40p heads... will I have clearance issues with my B2 being 2wd. I've heard both... yes and no. I want to try to use the craptastic stock headers... possible???

Keep'em coming guys. Thank you!

Dave

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Pulling an earlier 2wd tranny from the parts yard might be a better option, it would keep you from having to make the tailshaft mods, the repinning, and possible shift solenoid shuffle. A couple more things to add to your list:
Throttle cable from donor
Power steering pressure hose from 90's 4.0 (will need to straighten hard line out once you get it)
Oil filter relocation kit with 90* block adapter, transdapt part # 1413
Motor mounts, whether plates or convertible mounts, highly recommend the plate
Heater box modification ( some have used a heat gun and remolded, others cut and made panels)

I'll post up more as/if I think of them...

SVT

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You must have a crystal ball... I've been considering doing just that. I imagine I'll be able to find a lower mileage pre-98 trans for not too much cash... especially if I offer mine on swap.

The PS line tip is a good one... I was contemplating making my own. I have access to high pressure hose maker and the some of the material I have is rated to over 4,000 psi (overkill I know) but straightening the 4.0 line should be cake. I'll opt for that...

You guys rock... keep'em coming. I'm taking notes and can't thank you enough!

Dave

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
On SVT I took the explorer ps line and cut off the rack fitting, and had a hydraulic hose shop crimp on a 3/8" inverted flare 90* fitting. On josh's D ranged, I used a 4.0 line and straightened it....

SVT

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Quick question... What are the differences between my 2000 4r70W and the earlier models of the same tranny?

What years would be the most suitable for my setup. I'm thinking 96/97 but then why wouldn't a 4r70 from say 1990 serve the same purpose?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The 4R70W started in 96 with the intro of OBD2, prior to that was the aode, prior to that the aod. There were a couple differences between the car 4R70W and the truck version, as well as the earlier and later version. The later version added either an OSS, or output speed sensor, or TSS, turbine speed sensor (input shaft speed sensor). This was done to detect slippage inside the tranny and further improve efficiency. The exact year I'm not sure of, but I believe it was 98. The other difference you know of, the lack of the vss in the tail housing. This is due to the vss in the rear axle housing started double duty as an abs sensor and a vss ( vehicle speed sensor), which was corrected by either the ECU or the abs module, depending on vehicle...

SVT

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That all makes sense. My goal then I think is to work with a 97 ECU, a 96 engine harness, a 2000 302, and a 96 4R70W from either the Explorer or F150.

I'm reading about the GT-40P heads on the 1998+ 302s and whether or not I'll be able to find exhaust headers that can be used in this application (a 2WD B2). I suspect with some modifications the stock Explorer headers should work but I'm concerned about steering box and crossmember clearance issues...

I'm going to snatch the motor and trans out of the donor over the weekend and I suspect once I get eyes on the whole deal I'll be able to make a better call. I plan to pull the motor and trans independently and then I'll go back in for all the computer and wiring... shoulf be fun considering the donor lived in Illinois and is rust and salt covered.

Thanks!

Dave

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Dave, the stock manifolds will fit. SVT's frame and your B2 frame are very similar up front. The cast manifolds flow better than the tubular manifolds. Your header selection is very limited. I have a set of BBK headers from a mustang that was modified (two of the collector's were beat in to clear steering) but notching of the passenger frame was required to fit. Ford had a set of headers for the explorer, but they've been discontinued, then there's the expensive torque monster headers. They will fit, but run about $800. Because of the spark plug angle on the P heads, header selection is limited...
If your not worried about the donor after you get the parts you need, I highly recommend cutting the front clip off as close to the firewall as possible (see both SVT and my ST build thread, first post on my donor), it makes engine removal much faster and easier...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals