• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Bii. rear driveshaft question.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Bii is a 88 v6 5 speed manual 4x4. Bought it but had a slipping clutch so I never drove it far or fast. Basically on the trailer and into garage.
Just put in a new clutch kit. Went for a drive and all was fine. Put gas in it and aired up the tires. Heading for home doing 30 mph the shifter started shaking violently so I stop and check all mounts. Started driving again and all is good for a few miles then the shake comes back...then goes away.
All mounts are good, all bolts are tight.
Could it be the rear shafts cv joint (has plastic covers over them) going out...binding up..then working good again?
Or could it be something else?
I would hate to buy a new rear shaft if it's not the problem.
Thanks in advance for all help..

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Did you hear any "Clicking" noises when it was doing that?

Our local Fleet Pride company used to have a cottage industry setup for our Bronco II drive shafts. They would install U-Joint type/slip joint. Cardone makes them as well, but their price went sky high a couple years ago.

Clicking and binding noise will be present when that CV type shaft starts to crap-Normally. Usually when accelerating or under load.

S-

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Nope...no noise, no poping..nada.
And it comes and goes...it will cruise right along at 60 or 20 and all is fine. But every now and then it shakes.
Just started shaking both the shifters pretty bad, and no noise while they shake. The transfercase shifter was shaking the same so it was the whole driveline.
Like said I never drove it much when I bought it, so I am not sure if it was like this prior to me owning it. Or if it was something that happend after I put in the new clutch kit.
I know every bolt is tight and all mounts are good.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals