• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For Sale 1988 Ranger: solid everyday driver or a great start for something more-San Antonio, TX

Reaganr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
1988 Ranger XLT 2.9 L V6 that needs some cosmetic work…AND a donor truck with excellent body parts. If you just want a good running truck, she’s ready to go; otherwise, you have a very solid start on a restoration. The truck is located in San Antonio, TX. Asking price is $6,000.

I have 2 trucks that are part of this package…a well-running 1988 (blue & silver one) and an ‘87 donor truck with no engine or transmission but very good body parts, emblems, and interior, etc. Both trucks are a standard cab, long bed, 4x2. I bought the 88 truck almost 2 years ago as a project truck for my son and I to complete before he turned 16. We had intentions of making it look as close to “like new” as we could without doing a frame-off restoration. After a couple of trips to the salvage yard, many dollars at rock auto, and some help (and fees) from mechanics more capable than me, we have a very good-running truck.

When I bought the truck, there was some sub-standard body work and paint done on it that I knew I wanted to fix. I was lucky enough to find and acquire a donor truck with very clean body panels and more.

My understanding of how restorations work is to get it running first, get it painted, then do the interior last. My son and I have had a great time bonding and working on it, but alas, I didn’t fully understand what was involved with re-painting a vehicle such as this and I’m not prepared or equipped to continue.

This (‘88) was bought not running and without A/C…it now purrs like a kitten and has cold A/C. If you like the exterior then no need for more. Likewise, the interior is serviceable; but, the interior still needs a few things like the dashboard cover and door panel kit (available from Rockauto and other places). It will need a weatherstrip kit around windows and window channels (Rockauto or LMC or wherever). If you want to make it quieter and nicer, you will want a carpet kit (very readily available). I have a spreadsheet with a “wish list” and pricing and sources for all the things I would have liked to do after it was painted.

The truck is solid with a tight front end, new brake pads and rotors, battery, A/C system, transmission service, oil change, registration, and more. I also have a bunch of extra parts and manuals to go with the sale. You have a very solid foundation to a fine vintage Ranger restoration or a great truck as is.

If you are interested I will take videos of it driving, more pictures, answer questions, etc.

IMG_5058.jpeg
IMG_5057.jpeg
IMG_5059.jpeg
IMG_5063.jpeg

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@Reaganr

Forum rules... price is required

Reaganr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry. I updated the post just now

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
very nice looking truck. i imagine you won't have it long with how popular trucks are here in south texas

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals