• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 f350 7.3

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A guy at my work is selling a 1989 F350 with a 7.3. It's a crew cab long bed srw with 156,000 miles on it. It has the zf-5 5 speed manual and a locker in the rear, as well as 50" lightbar. he's asking 6,000 for it and I have my tax return coming so, does this sound like a good deal?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Kinda depends on the overall condition and what prices those sorts of trucks are commanding around where you're at.

As it is, that's almost the exact truck I'm looking for. Unfortunately I need an automatic at this point.

As far as the diesel motor goes, it's a tank. Not overly fast unless he did some work to the motor, but expect 500k miles plus out of the motor from what I've read if you take care of it. And with some work, it'll scoot along respectably.

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Kinda depends on the overall condition and what prices those sorts of trucks are commanding around where you're at.

As it is, that's almost the exact truck I'm looking for. Unfortunately I need an automatic at this point.

As far as the diesel motor goes, it's a tank. Not overly fast unless he did some work to the motor, but expect 500k miles plus out of the motor from what I've read if you take care of it. And with some work, it'll scoot along respectably.
It does have a aftermarket turbo, and this guy is a diesel mechanic so he took good care of it, it's in great condition

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
A friend of mine has a non turbo same year but it's a dually. Awesome truck and has plenty of power in stock form but simply turning the pump up a tad makes a big difference. A pain to start in the cold unplugged but bullet proof motors and transmissions.

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A friend of mine has a non turbo same year but it's a dually. Awesome truck and has plenty of power in stock form but simply turning the pump up a tad makes a big difference. A pain to start in the cold unplugged but bullet proof motors and transmissions.
I don't really Need a truck that bug, i just like it, but i heard they dont fet terrible fuel mileage and the guy told me it would have quicker acceleration than my ranger with a 4.0 ohv. Can anyone chime in and confirm that one?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4.0OHV is hardly a barn burning race engine.

Never been around a 7.3 though.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I doubt it would beat a 4.0 Ranger with a 5 speed till you get to a pretty fast speed.I spent a lot of time in one of these as a work truck.There very popular around here mostly early 90's to the last of the 7.3's.I'm not a fan and can't believe what they're priced at just don't like how they feel going down the road.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just don't like how they feel going down the road.
You don't like it driving straight down the road?

These trucks are awesome. I prefer the 87-91 body style myself. I'm about to start a Cummins swap on my '89 F350. The absolute worst part about the truck is the god awful turning radius. I have been seriously considering swapping my crew cab body onto a single cab frame and having a Toyota length bed (Taco's have what...a 3' bed now?)

I can't think of anything bad about them. Other than everyone and there children want to rape these trucks for the front axle.

Who cares if it's not as fast as a 4.0 Ranger.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I doubt it would beat a 4.0 Ranger with a 5 speed till you get to a pretty fast speed.I spent a lot of time in one of these as a work truck.There very popular around here mostly early 90's to the last of the 7.3's.I'm not a fan and can't believe what they're priced at just don't like how they feel going down the road.
it will blow away a ranger on 35's and 410 gears if it is turbo...a stock 4.0 5 speed otoh would run away from it...especially past 60 mph.

thats stupid though.... if the guy has had it most of its life and had elc coolant with the proper sca's and no water from the ditch or tap...then it is worth 6 k with no rot on it.

the engines are cheap and reliable when operated correctly and not hosed down with starting fluid...

mpg 13-17 would be reasonable for a crew dont ya think?

does he run black in it?

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Don't know about the fuel economy. My friends gets 6 if driven on the highway. About 8 in town. Probably would be a little better with better gearing and less tires lol. Acceleration would be quicker probably. They're pretty powerful trucks. He never uses first with that transmission. Second gear will get you going pretty quick.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agreed on the pricing for a 4x4. It is nuts what people want for a truck with a quarter of a million+ miles on it.

Dad's '96 F-250 is a riot to drive though. The seat isn't the most comfy (might have been better 200k miles ago) but the rest of it is nice, I would be more inclined to buy a new '96 than a new 2016. Just a nice simple truck.

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well it is in good condition, it does have a salvage title however, someone hit the bedside but everything's been fixed since then

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That will hurt the value substantially though.

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, and i guess some companies won't insure it because of that

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by trail B2 View Post
just don't like how they feel going down the road.
You don't like it driving straight down the road?

In my opinion GM full size feel better going down the highway than an equal priced Ford full sized.If you use it off road a lot this changes.This is only my opinion no more valuable than anybody else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail B2 View Post
Agreed on the pricing for a 4x4. It is nuts what people want for a truck with a quarter of a million+ miles on it.

There's a guy down the road from me right now trying to get $10,000 for a 92 4x2 with 200,000 miles.It does have the 7.3 and five speed.It's a beautiful bright red truck though.Not a pristine but decent early 90's diesel around here with a manual somewhere around 8,000 with 4x4.

I agree about a new truck a working guy can't really own a new diesel it but can own him if he wants.I know a couple people with the new Fords and they are very happy with the 6.7 and the truck in general.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals