• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 2.3 alternators

AFricks88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What alternator is everyone using on a 1990 2.3 ranger? My uncles finally puked yesterday and no parts store had one in stock but was able to get a reman from oreillys. It comes with 3 wires coming out of it that requires cutting off your factory plug and spicing and crimping those wires to new alternator wires. What happened to just unplug and plug back up? Can anyone explain this to me? Because if the alternator is bad gonna have to cut wires and re splice!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can’t explain the why but I wouldn’t splice the wires. I would install a waterproof plug on both sides instead. It will take a little more time and add to the cost but it will be a “one and done” for the harness side of things and gives you the ability to disconnect for troubleshooting, if it’s ever needed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where do you live?

Most cities will have a starter and alternator rebuild shop
Some times they will have OEM ready to go and just swap with you or it will be a few days to get yours cleaned and rebuilt

All alternators will have a B+ terminal, larger wire(or 2 wires) can be a plug or a stud/nut terminal, this wire has 12volt all the time so make sure not to short it or better yet unhook battery cable before starting

Then there will be Voltage Regulator plug, can be 2 or 3 wire, 3rd wire is short jumper for stator connection, plugs into single terminal on alternator, usually a white wire
2 wire version has internal stator connection

One of the remaining 2 wires is for Monitor circuit, usually yellow wire, will have 12volts all the time, hooked to a fuse in engine fuse box

Next wire, usually green, is Battery Light wire, and the ON/OFF switch for alternator, only has 12v with key on, 12v comes from ignition switch in the cab, THRU the Battery Light bulb

Test these wires with volt meter with battery connected before starting the swap, it can be just a blown fuse when alternator stops working

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Doing most repairs on alternators is relatively simple. The exception is damaged windings in the stator or rotor.
Failing parts that are available, and likely more than is replaced in 're-man' alternators are:
front and rear bearings
diode array
brushes
regulator
The diode array is likely soldered, so you must have a LARGE soldering iron to disconnect/re-solder.
All else is normal 'stuff'.
People seem afraid to look inside. They shouldn't be.
If *I* do the repairs, I know what was replaced vs what was bad. I have replaced brushes and added
grease to bearings before they got dried out and ruined. Still have the factory in the two I have done,
on an 87 Vulcan with 250,000 and the other an 85 with a 2.3. The latter god 'sudzed' and the grease
erased from the bearings... but works now.
Newer systems have computer (ECM) monitoring and output 'setting' in some cases. Not much different except for the regulator involved and you need to get the correct one if you replace.
tom

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
So here's the deal with these alternators, they are internally identical to the V6 & V8 alternators (assuming same amperage) but the mounting ears are in different locations and the pulleys can be different. I have a pile of various alternators on hand and I can almost always swap parts from most late 80's/early 90's Ford trucks & cars to make one that works. 4 cylinder Ranger parts are somewhat hard to come by in general and that is why you are running into problems finding the right one in stock.

I have had mine rebuilt several times by a local shop and the first time, it came with that plug to replace. They said that it absolutely must be done because it melts internally or builds up resistance and pooches the alternator or something like that. Doubt that is 100% true but it won't hurt to replace it.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got 3 or 4 from the wrecking yard when messing around over there
I'm afraid their prices and policies have changed since, well, you know when

AFricks88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the insight guys. I absolutely hate the idea of cutting a factory plug.

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Thanks for the insight guys. I absolutely hate the idea of cutting a factory plug.
If it's the one I am thinking it is, the charge wire is in that plug. What happens is that it makes a poor connection over time, which causes the plug to get hot, which causes a worse connection, which causes more heat... And eventually it starts on fire. This is a very well documented issue back in that era.

When an aftermarket part comes with a replacement pigtail it's almost always in your best interest to replace it.

edit: yea, looked the alt up. REPLACE IT! Those are the fire starters.

edit edit: sounds like you're saying it has leads coming right off the alt without the plug. That's probably to keep from people from going "my plug looks fine, i don't need to replace it this time" and burning their vehicle down. Looking on RA there are plenty that still use the plug though, you could find a different brand if you don't want to go the hardwire route.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals