• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3 DIS issue

Juddys123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I’m new to this thread and am currently living in Musella Ga. I work as a heavy duty diesel tech but spend most of my free time turning wrenches on my own stuff. Back in December of last year I hit a deer in my 1990 Ranger shortbed with 2.3 and 5 speed. After installing a new front clip and repairing the body damage I found that the truck had a no spark issue.

I checked everything, I have power to the icm and both coils. Ground to the icm shows 8.5 volts instead of the usual 10-12 and I don’t know if this is problematic. However, my main issue is that I can’t get a good signal from my crank sensor. From what I’ve read the signal should go from 11-12 and then drop to 0 rapidly while the engine turns over.

Strangely I get a constant .25 volts from the crank sensor wire that feeds into the top of the icm and .52 volts at the CID wire. I replaced both the crank sensor and the harmonic balancer and this did not fix my issue. At this point I suspect a continuity issue within the harness but I’ve narrowed it down to either that or the icm. Any help would be appreciated.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Has it ran at all since you hit the deer? If not, have you checked the inertia switch in the passenger side footwell by the transmission tunnel? When I got in a wreck on my '97 it was tripped AND unplugged. I've been in a minor fender bender with no damage to either vehicle and had that trip on my '90

Juddys123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Has it ran at all since you hit the deer? If not, have you checked the inertia switch in the passenger side footwell by the transmission tunnel? When I got in a wreck on my '97 it was tripped AND unplugged. I've been in a minor fender bender with no damage to either vehicle and had that trip on my '90
the moment I hit the deer the truck cut off but I was able to crank the truck back up and drive off to a side road. I checked the inertia switch previously and I can hear my fuel pump turn on with good pressure at the fuel rail. My understanding was that the inertia switch had no impact on ignition system. I also conducted a 50/50 test to start off with which resulted in no spark and led me to believe I was having ignition issue

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Could not work but maybe try swapping the two coil packs as only the passenger side is used during cranking, do you have injector pulse? It's driven out of the crank sensor signal to the DIS module as well...

Juddys123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Could not work but maybe try swapping the two coil packs as only the passenger side is used during cranking, do you have injector pulse? It's driven out of the crank sensor signal to the DIS module as well...
I’ll try doing a pulse test at the injectors next week but I’m really scratching my head about the cause of the strange voltage readings at the crank sensor

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The crank sensor is hall effect on these, the sensor output (I think there's two signals with the two vanes...) should switch on and off depending on if there is metal in the way or not, some hall effect sensors have some "pull up" or "pull down" voltage or ground on the signal to help processing. In the 24 years I've had the '90 the only ignition system issue I've ever had is the one crank sensor that went out, and the other was a self induced deal where I didn't ground the DIS module (the 3 bolts that mount it) after I did the turbo swap, if I was to do it now I would do it different and wouldn't have scrapped the two engines I had...

Juddys123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The crank sensor is hall effect on these, the sensor output (I think there's two signals with the two vanes...) should switch on and off depending on if there is metal in the way or not, some hall effect sensors have some "pull up" or "pull down" voltage or ground on the signal to help processing. In the 24 years I've had the '90 the only ignition system issue I've ever had is the one crank sensor that went out, and the other was a self induced deal where I didn't ground the DIS module (the 3 bolts that mount it) after I did the turbo swap, if I was to do it now I would do it different and wouldn't have scrapped the two engines I had...
Ok so I have constant 12 volts at both injector wires. I assume this means that the pcm isn’t closing and opening the circuit due to some crank sensor issue?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You should have nothing at the injectors unless the engine is cranking or running, that's weird that you're seeing constant voltage there.

I believe you should be seeing AC voltage at the crank sensor, not DC. Hard to test that with a digital multimeter, way easier with a scope or analog meter.

Where is the DIS module located, IIRC it is behind the power steering pump in that area? On other trucks it is next to the radiator, pretty easy to damage it there during a collision or mess up the wiring.

Juddys123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
l
You should have nothing at the injectors unless the engine is cranking or running, that's weird that you're seeing constant voltage there.

I believe you should be seeing AC voltage at the crank sensor, not DC. Hard to test that with a digital multimeter, way easier with a scope or analog meter.

Where is the DIS module located, IIRC it is behind the power steering pump in that area? On other trucks it is next to the radiator, pretty easy to damage it there during a collision or mess up the wiring.
the dis module is bolted and grounded to the intake.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There is a constant power wire to all injectors, I believe the ground is switched, are you checking across the injector connector or from a ground to the wires?

Sometimes with stuff like that there is a test signal sent through so you will see some voltage across without the injector in the circuit, that's where a noid light or test light comes in handier in some instances...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals