• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 ranger 4.0 will crank but won't start

Dumped14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 1993 ranger is not firing. Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. I can spray ether in the chamber and will still not start. I have hattached a code reader and when I turn the key to on it goes blank no blinking lights at all. The check engine light does not come on when the key is on. Also when I plug the fuel relay into the socket it clicks. I'm lost sure could use some help

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like an ignition problem or the computer was damaged of there no cel.

johnnycash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 splash 3.0 4x4. I have the same problem "intermittently". I was told that my ignition, transmission and fuel pump relay are the same exact relay part number. When my truck does the "no cycle" or sound on the fuel pump i switch it out with another relay and everything is good for 6 days or 6 months. I tried all new relays and it got worse. I saw a you tube video on adding a 5 cent ground to the fp relay with a short piece of wire. It helped. The wire was a temp and i lost it. If i find the video i will send you a link. Chech this info out before proceeding but it got me out of a jam several times. I am no mechanic...that, i can guarantee. Good luck.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check the EDIS Module in front of the battery. See if it came unplugged or loose.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No CEL means computer is not powering up.

1993 4.0l will have an EEC(PCM) relay and EEC(PCM) fuse in the engine power distribution box.

When you turn the key on that Relay should "click" closed, and EEC fuse(30amp) power will be sent to the EEC(computer) and the CEL should come on.
This relay and fuse also powers the Spark and Fuel injectors.

If relay does not "click" then could be ignition switch under the steering column, it is not powering that relay when key is turned to RUN(on)
There is a 60amp fuse in engine power box that powers the ignition switch

Battery----60amp fuse-------------ignition switch----------30amp fuse-----EEC Relay--------computer/spark/fuel

Last edited:

tbunch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If your CEL is not lighting at all it might be worth it to check the bulb, they have a tendency to burn out. I didn't notice mine was out for a little while. Most likely still the computer, especially with the no start and no codes coming up on your scanner. I usually use a paper clip and just bridge the scan plug, then count the times the CEL blinks, then check it against my manual. Just a thought.

Dumped14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Would the ignition switch cause the fuel pump not to run also?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Would the ignition switch cause the fuel pump not to run also?
Yes and no

If ignition switch didn't turn on EEC Relay then no power would go to computer, fuel injectors, spark system or fuel pump RELAY.

Fuel pump RELAY sends power to the fuel pump, not ignition switch, but ignition switch needs to be on.

Similar to "Could the main breaker in my house cause refrigerator to stop working?"
Yes and no

You would tend not to focus on the fuel pump(or refrigerator) if the ignition switch was at fault, there would be other systems effected as well.

Last edited:

Dumped14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for ur response I checked the relay panel and do have power there and when I turn the key on the ecm does light up. We replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter but still cannot get the codes to come accross the reader I even had another enertia switch and tried that. I just can't figure this one out. When it quit it started cutting out and finally died.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try the 50/50 test
Spray gasoline or Quick Start(ether) into the intake manifold
Try to start engine
If it starts and then dies, spark is good, fuel flow is the issue
If it doesn't start then spark is the issue
50/50

Dumped14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have power to the eec relay but still not starting and no codes still how about the crankshaft position sensor would this cause these problems

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals