• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 steering column squeak can’t find

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I’ve had some trouble with my steering since I got the truck. It had a ton of play and made some noise.
At first I thought it was the rag joint, replaced that and it got better ✅.
Then I thought it was all the linkage and tierods, replaced that and it got better ✅.
Then I replaced the steering wheel with an after market unit, not so much to help the steering but to have a smaller nicer wheel. The aftermarket hub was trash, but I fixed that with a better one that fits tight ✅.
Then I thought it was alignment, had that dialed and it did get better ✅.

Now I have no play in the steering, but I still have a terrible chirping/squeaking sound coming from behind the wheel when I turn the wheel. I think it’s actually coming from the bearing/bushing that the steering column rides on. I found replacement/upgrade, but I’m trying to figure out how hard it is? How common it is? Or if there’s something else likely causing this.

IMG_0606.png

Reactions: gaz

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have never done your particular column, but I can tell you from my experience, working on steering columns is not fun. Very fiddly work.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have never done your particular column, but I can tell you from my experience, working on steering columns is not fun. Very fiddly work.
Yeah I’m not good at small areas like that either, but if it needs fixing I’ll try.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Finally got time to dig into this again. My new bearing from LMC truck arrived, I pulled the column apart and realized I was going to have to really work at getting these bearings out, as smacking them from the back side wasn’t working. Finally one popped out and hit the ground and I realized there’s two bearings not just one. Got them both out and clearly they have seen better days, probably is LMC truck only showed one and I only ordered one. No biggy the new one is considerably better built and the way this design works I’m sure one is sufficient for a short time.

So I through it back together with just one and it seems better, but not totally fixed. Maybe the single bearing is straining by itself, or maybe the stupid horn thing needs to be moved a tad for better alignment. Guess I’ll have to dig into it more when the new one comes home fully much faster than the first one.

IMG_1073.jpeg
IMG_1074.jpeg
IMG_1076.jpeg
IMG_1075.jpeg
IMG_1070.png

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Thanks for keeping this updated. I haven’t dug into one that deep yet. Though I have played with a couple Ford truck steering columns from 93-02 era. Much easier to play with once you get the whole column assembly out of the truck.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for keeping this updated. I haven’t dug into one that deep yet. Though I have played with a couple Ford truck steering columns from 93-02 era. Much easier to play with once you get the whole column assembly out of the truck.
How hard are they to pull? And do you know if a tilt column swap is fairly easy?

I went back out and played with it and actually pulled the assembly with the bearings that I just replaced so I could take it to the local parts store. Of course they could t find me anything steering column related besides the blinker stem. Anyway after I put the wheel back on and drove around my yard. The squeak is still there, which means it’s not the bearings I set out to replace. Not sure what else it could be besides the bearing that’s way down low, but it certainly sounds higher up. I ordered a used factory steering wheel since I tossed mine long ago, I’d swear it’s at the wheel, but it makes no sense because the bolt is tight and I cannot see any movement.

If it does happen to be something to do with the wheel/wheel adapter and the OEM wheel fixes it then Efffff after market wheels and adapters forever in my book. But more importantly my knees with start to smash the wheel everytime I get in and out and I’ll likely consider a tilt column swap. If it’s not the wheel and it’s further down in the column which will require the column to be pulled. Then I’d be a fool not to get a tilt column and fix that up to swap in.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It's not bad to remove. It's not fun. But not a bad job.

Remove the lower dash covers, the bezel (trim) covering the driver side if the dash and instrument cluster. Disconnect all the electrical connectors. If you have an automatic transmission, carefully Disconnect the linkage at the rear if the shift lever shaft and the delicate cable that goes up to the indicator in the instrument cluster. In the engine bay, Disconnect the steering sjaft at the coupling closest to the firewall. Under the dash, there are usually 4 bolts. The 2 closest to the firewall just need to be loosened. The steering assembly has slotted holes for those. Then remove the other 2 bolts and carefully wiggle the whole thing out. Should look pretty close to this when you're done. This one is from a 2002 F 250. But they are all very similar.

I would think tilting vs non-tilting should be swappable with no issue.

20231022_161153.jpg

20231022_161147.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals