• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 & Newer specific Ranger problems.....

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
How do you actually get it from them? Oh their website I'm seeing it as unavailable both in store and online.
True, but notice where it says "Not Available at Selected Store" there's a hot-link that says "Call Store to Order"

I ordered it on a Sunday (in person, there for other stuff anyway), and they had it on Tuesday... back around Dec. 2020 IIRC... can't remember if I had to pay in advance, but no biggie, THEY'LL ORDER IT, because... hey, they want your money! (OTOH, I'm guessing it's "under the table" because FoMoCo not thrilled they're selling it at a STEEP discount!)

PS: Besides curing "Driveshaft Clunk", it's also a pure-synthetic (baby blue color) grease that's safe for all PLASTICS, so I'm using it to rebuild my PVH hubs... may also end up using in on my Herman Miller office chair rocking mechanism.

Last edited:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Any luck getting O'Reilly to order the Secret Squirrel FoMoCo XG-8 grease for you?

Saxwing1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3” with torsion crank
Tire Size
33x12.5
The pats system is probably the most annoying thing in my opinion but i put a 3 inch body lift on mine and I will say it has made every fix I've ever had to do so much easier it opens everything up so much more

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
99 4+4 driven four years and the trans jumped to neutral at 65mph. Slight whining sound when put in any gear with no pull in any gear . Also the door ajar as mentioned above.

tohbi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm curious, and it would be easier to ask then to read every post in this forum.....

What are some of the problems encountered in the 1998 and newer Rangers that are specific to those models? As the tech library expands, I'm trying to figure out what direction we need to go now that the 1998 and up Rangers are becoming more common and being modified more.

Whether it be hubs, axles, transmissions, engines, electronics, etc.....please post any problems you see popping up with these trucks that we may need to address in some tech pages.

It would seem to me that there would be more and more electrical related issues.

You may post some that I already know about or have addressed elsewhere, but throw anything you can think of out there. Who knows, we may find that a specific problem is more common that you think.

Thanks.:headbang:
Hood Latch

I'm back fellas! Yes, it's been many years but I return when I have a problem. I can't open the hood. The lever moves easily, like it's open, but the hood acts welded shut. Can anyone advise?

I may have a solution to Jim's noisy PS pump. A small amount of "friction modifier" solved my issue. I think it is the same additive that is put into the differential for limited slip differentials.

A girlfriend had an old 2.8 Ranger, my introduction to the model. I put a carb and distributor on that truck and liked it so much I acquired an '86 Bronco II, first year for EFI. Also, my first 4WD. Great little truck, talk about a turning radius, but scary at 80mph on the freeway; on the way to Nogales, I was following a brand new F250, passing a semi when the Ford slammed on the brakes. Smoke poured off the pickup's tires as the semi started to jackknife right next to us. An old station wagon filled with Mexican Nationals had blown a tire and was sliding sideways down the middle of the freeway. Luckily, the semi driver was on the ball and missed the station wagon on the right.

The F250 stood on its nose and moved to the left, leaving me no place to go but under his tailgate or into the center bar ditch. I just knew that Bronco II would roll over if I took it into the bar ditch at that speed but luckily managed to keep her on the highway and slow down without hitting anything. The F250 had rolled over a hubcap that came off the station wagon and punched a hole in the pan. I pulled over and gave the driver a ride to call a tow truck and left his passenger with a half-pack of cigarettes to guard the new F250.

So, I decided highway safety trumps off road 4WD and traded for an '05 Edge with limited slip and it has been excellent. Solid on the highway and haven't been stuck yet. ..... I know this has been windy but thought I'd share. So, can anyone help me open my hood?

Last edited:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
99 4+4 driven four years and the trans jumped to neutral at 65mph. Slight whining sound when put in any gear with no pull in any gear . Also the door ajar as mentioned above.
Perhaps it was the TRANSFER CASE that jumped to Neutral, not the trans??

Please report back.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Perhaps it was the TRANSFER CASE that jumped to Neutral, not the trans??

Please report back.
I don’t think its
the transfer case. I can hear it shift in and out when I push the button. Keep putting off transmission removal. WAITING ON A JACK. BOUGHT One on Amazon. There was problems with shipping. Just got refunded. But will have to wait again for it to arrive. My younger days I have installed 2 350 turbo transmissions in my old z28. While laying on my back in a ditch. Slide transmission onto me. Then wrangle em in. NOT EVEN going to attempt that these days 🤣😂🤣

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Hood Latch

I'm back fellas! Yes, it's been many years but I return when I have a problem. I can't open the hood. The lever moves easily, like it's open, but the hood acts welded shut. Can anyone advise?

I may have a solution to Jim's noisy PS pump. A small amount of "friction modifier" solved my issue. I think it is the same additive that is put into the differential for limited slip differentials.

A girlfriend had an old 2.8 Ranger, my introduction to the model. I put a carb and distributor on that truck and liked it so much I acquired an '86 Bronco II, first year for EFI. Also, my first 4WD. Great little truck, talk about a turning radius, but scary at 80mph on the freeway; on the way to Nogales, I was following a brand new F250, passing a semi when the Ford slammed on the brakes. Smoke poured off the pickup's tires as the semi started to jackknife right next to us. An old station wagon filled with Mexican Nationals had blown a tire and was sliding sideways down the middle of the freeway. Luckily, the semi driver was on the ball and missed the station wagon on the right.

The F250 stood on its nose and moved to the left, leaving me no place to go but under his tailgate or into the center bar ditch. I just knew that Bronco II would roll over if I took it into the bar ditch at that speed but luckily managed to keep her on the highway and slow down without hitting anything. The F250 had rolled over a hubcap that came off the station wagon and punched a hole in the pan. I pulled over and gave the driver a ride to call a tow truck and left his passenger with a half-pack of cigarettes to guard the new F250.

So, I decided highway safety trumps off road 4WD and traded for an '05 Edge with limited slip and it has been excellent. Solid on the highway and haven't been stuck yet. ..... I know this has been windy but thought I'd share. So, can anyone help me open my hood?
Have you tried a buddy pushing down on the hood while you pull the release cable? Sort of the way Fonz would bump the jukebox, might just need a little jarring to snap loose.
Once you do get it open, maybe lube the cable and linkages and bit and deburr the hook/latch back into a pretty smooth shape if its rough from rust/wear.

Lastly it is possibly your cable snapped somewhere, might have to manually get it open from underneath the grill area...not easy, but possible.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Have you tried a buddy pushing down on the hood while you pull the release cable? Sort of the way Fonz would bump the jukebox, might just need a little jarring to snap loose.
Once you do get it open, maybe lube the cable and linkages and bit and deburr the hook/latch back into a pretty smooth shape if its rough from rust/wear.

Lastly it is possibly your cable snapped somewhere, might have to manually get it open from underneath the grill area...not easy, but possible.
This. and if you are able to get it open by a nudge bump help from a buddy, lube the cable and the latch assembly itself. use white lithium grease on the latch assembly, and I think they make lube for the cable itself too.

AJ

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
This. and if you are able to get it open by a nudge bump help from a buddy, lube the cable and the latch assembly itself. use white lithium grease on the latch assembly, and I think they make lube for the cable itself too.

AJ
They make chain/cable lube spray specifically. Dirt bike guys use it.
1704816185858.png

We also have a cable lubing tool that the fits a straw and forces in the spray. Motion Pro makes one, they work great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals