• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Ranger timing? what the duce?

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok can anyone tell me how in the hell to set the timing on 1998 Ranger 4.0 ohv I hav a 1996 motor I swaped everything over to put that motor in my 1998 after I took the thing that looks like dist. out and now I can get it in time any help would be great thanks! Dustin. :icon_confused:

james99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
do u have a timming light that has (distributorless ignition system) capability. if not u are going to need to get an adaptor or a new timming light.

partsguy84823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can't manually set the timing like you can with a distributor. The part that you pulled out is called a camshaft synchronizer, it has the camshaft position sensor ontop of it. The computer uses readings from the CPS to adjust the timing. In order to align the synchro, you will need to get the engine to TDS, then you will need to get the cam synchro alignment tool. The alignment tool holds the synchro at the position it should be in with the engine at TDC, this allows you to drop the synchro back in and it should be phased correctly. That will mean that the computer knows where the engine is in its rotation and can send spark accordingly.

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hat thanks guys do you think i would be better off to take it down to the dealership or just buy the tool myself? Anyone know the price on one of those? :shok:

partsguy84823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the tool can be had for about 20 bucks from ford. It is just a cheap plastic "hat" that holds that vane in the correct location. I dunno, its up to you. If you know how to position the engine with cyl 1 at TDC and can get the tool fairly readily, it is as easy to put in as it was to take out...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You can't manually set the timing like you can with a distributor. The part that you pulled out is called a camshaft synchronizer, it has the camshaft position sensor ontop of it. The computer uses readings from the CPS to adjust the timing. In order to align the synchro, you will need to get the engine to TDS, then you will need to get the cam synchro alignment tool. The alignment tool holds the synchro at the position it should be in with the engine at TDC, this allows you to drop the synchro back in and it should be phased correctly. That will mean that the computer knows where the engine is in its rotation and can send spark accordingly.
actually the cam position sensor only tells the computer position of the engine to control injector timing for the SEFI injection.

The IGNITION timing is controlled by the crankshaft pickup.

AD

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I am going to look into getting this tool I had the dis. looking thing out so I want to make sure its right what I have going on is now the truck fires right up and runs smooth for a few seconds and then starts popping verry loud out of the exhaust all I have on the motor right now is the y pipe and the last 02 sensor is not hooked up cause the guy I bought it from cut the converters off and I am trying to find on to put back on it I almost think the motor I bought from the yard has a stuck valve other than the fact it runs smoth for a few seconds before it starts popping any ideas on this? I bought a 1996 motor and swaped the upper and lower intake to make it work cause I couldent find a 1998 motor for it. :icon_confused:

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I just orderd the tool from Napa it will be in at 3:00 today so we will see what we got please let me know if you have any other iedas thank you verry much

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys thanks for all the help I had a brain fart and found out the plug wires sere rong I belive they are diffrent from a 96-98 or I just missed it so it is running great now and thanks for all the help! :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals