• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 3.0 Ranger - Question about timing chain seal

aaldape

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So a mechanic friend of mine has been helping get a very promising 1999 Ford ranger 3.0 V6 up and running, and we are replacing the crankshaft and main bearings this upcoming weekend. However, he mentioned a "timing chain gasket" as a part we may need to order, as apparently some of them are not reusable... Since this will be the first time I have ever torn into a 4 stroke motor of any type, I'm not real familiar with them, but I would guess it's the gasket for the timing cover?

The truck is about 3 hours away, so I will start it this coming weekend, but if I can round up the parts I need that would save time. Does anyone know if the timing chain gasket are reusable? Not that big of deal, but since I started all of this work back in MAY, I am tired of things delaying the progress, so I want to have all parts accounted for beforehand... Thanks for all help!

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
i haven't torn into many 4-6 cylinders but on every V8 i've ever done the gaskets are not re-usable and yes you're right it's a timing cover gasket unless he's talking about the seal in the front of the cover that the crank goes thru, in which case just pop that critter out and tap a new seal in its place, it's not worth the hassle to try to re-use a $6 seal and have to replace it if it does wind up leaking.

sdjr

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 cubic inches
Transmission
Manual
for a cover gasket, I just used black RTV during my rebuild, 2500 miles, and no problems.

aaldape

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Right on guys, I appreciate the replies... Sounds like I should be set to get this truck running by the end of the weekend! Then I can put some pictures up! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals