• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 electric t-case swap to manual

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have been searching though these forums and a couple of others to find out if i can swap out my electric shifter to a manual one but i cant find what year of rangers had the manual shifter and which would be an exact swap to my 99 ford ranger.

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have been searching though these forums and a couple of others to find out if i can swap out my electric shifter to a manual one but i cant find what year of rangers had the manual shifter and which would be an exact swap to my 99 ford ranger.
Manual T/C's were offered in Rangers before 1998 and between 2002 and 2003, and in Explorers prior to 97 or 98.

However, if you want a true bolt-in, you're pretty much limited to the 2002-2003 units (veryyyyy rare) since they have the cup-style flange for the front driveshaft. Luckily, you can use a earlier model transfer case if you swap to a 1995-1996 Explorer front drive-shaft, its the only one that will fit the older-style transfer case and the newer style front axle.

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I found a 91 ford explorer with a manual 4x4 transfer case but the transmission was automatic. Can i put that on my ranger or do the transmissions have to match?

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The tail ends of both auto and manual transmissions are the same, so it doesnt matter.

BTW think the 91 might have a 1350 transfer case, its weaker than the newer 1354.

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
is there a way to tell if its a 1354 or a 1350?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i dont know if it says it anywhere else, but it will have it where the shaft from the tranny goes into the tcase. therefore, the tcase would need to be off

you can see what i mean in the pic below, it says 13-50 to the left of the borg-warner logo

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
alright cool, Thanks

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It should also say on the sticker on the side of the transfer case, should be on the side with the front output yoke.

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Alright i decided to get the manual t-case and drive shaft from the 91 explorer but i just need to check one more thing. When i switch the t-case's do i have to do anything with the 4x4 computer? is there a 4x4 computer on the 91 explorer?

**Does anyone know the tools required to remove the transfer case and drive shaft? I'm going to the jy on Thursday and would like to have all the tools i need and not forget anything.

Last edited:

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright i decided to get the manual t-case and drive shaft from the 91 explorer but i just need to check one more thing. When i switch the t-case's do i have to do anything with the 4x4 computer? is there a 4x4 computer on the 91 explorer?

**Does anyone know the tools required to remove the transfer case and drive shaft? I'm going to the jy on Thursday and would like to have all the tools i need and not forget anything.
No, you should be able to leave the computer alone. However, the GEM might notice the sensors in the TC motor missing and start flashing the 4wd lights, easiest way to fix that is to remove the cluster and remove the lights.

You'll need a basic socket set, think its mostly 10, 13, 15 and 17 or 18 mm bolts, but you should bring a set with 10-23mm sockets. Some closed end wrenches will help with the crossmember bolts and driveshaft bolts. A small prybar will help to remove the crossmember from the frame, and pry the transfer case off. Might need some 12 point sockets or Torx bits for the driveshafts too, not sure.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I just covered the lights with electrical tape in mine :icon_rofl:

I was contemplating wiring the position sensor to the one on the manual case, but I figured the location of the shifter was a good enough tip off on what drive it was in.

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Is there a way to wire the manual shifter to turn on the dash board lights?

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a way to wire the manual shifter to turn on the dash board lights?
Hey did you ever end up doing this? I'm so sick of my 4x4 not working and really want to do this. And if you did do it do you have any pictures?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals