• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 head on 2.5 block with counter balance delete, 2005 XL 2wdr

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, finally got it running. Surprised the heck out of me, turned the key and ran great right off the git. The engine runs smooth and no ticks, no knocks, no vibrations. But the strangest thing. The truck "hums". Your heard that right it hums, sounds like it's coming from the bed. The hum doesn't change with engine speed. Not loudly but noticeable. Only thing I can think is there is some harmonics from an unknown source. Broke it in with an hour drive moderate speeds to 60mph. Going in for total knee replacement tomorrow so it'll be a few weeks before I can get back to it. Never heard a sound like this from a truck or car.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
fuel pump.
congrats on getting it running, especially on the first attempt.
good luck on the knee job.

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OLD Geek, laughed out loud..........

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
What sort of torque does a 2.3 head on a 2.5 block make?

More than either the 2.3 or 2.5? I'd imagine so.. gets the benefit of a longer stroke AND more squish from a smaller chamber right?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
it looses the variable timing on both cams.
2.3 intake ports are smaller. not sure how that affects the torque curve.

I have a 2005 2.3 head off, but the 2010 2.5 head is going to stay on the block so I cannot do a comparison, yet.
maybe DaveH and I can swap head data when he's feeling better.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Mazda guys put 2.5 heads on 2.3s
then either adapters for the intake runners, or a global/Brazilian 2.5 intake.
for more zoom zoom I suppose :dntknw:

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What sort of torque does a 2.3 head on a 2.5 block make?

More than either the 2.3 or 2.5? I'd imagine so.. gets the benefit of a longer stroke AND more squish from a smaller chamber right?
Bimpkin- To be perfectly honest my only initial goal was to get this truck running. I was happy t(o say the least), this hybrid works! In the hour of driving yesterday I was surprised at the drivability of the truck. First Ranger I've owned. The steering, suspension and overall handling were to my liking. Once back on my feet I'll work out the bugs and explore the real world power this engine is making. Once the current project was on it's feet and running I can certainly see some possibilities for mods.........

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If one puts a 2.5 head on a 2.3, will it identify as a 2.4?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I kinda kicked myself for not looking for a Duratec when I got the '97 but wanted I beams more than the extra 10hp... Following your saga is encouraging and very interesting, I like cobbling junk together :), I'm sure some people think I might be having a stroke when I show up to a parts store for my '90 as it's a combo of '86 thunderbird, '90 Ranger and '91-94 Explorer with some '95-01 Explorer mixed in with some parts from late '90's Suburban for good measure along with other random stuff... eventually I might end up with dual piston calipers so some '95-97 Ranger too :)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I kinda kicked myself for not looking for a Duratec when I got the '97 but wanted I beams more than the extra 10hp... Following your saga is encouraging and very interesting, I like cobbling junk together :), I'm sure some people think I might be having a stroke when I show up to a parts store for my '90 as it's a combo of '86 thunderbird, '90 Ranger and '91-94 Explorer with some '95-01 Explorer mixed in with some parts from late '90's Suburban for good measure along with other random stuff... eventually I might end up with dual piston calipers so some '95-97 Ranger too :)
Nice Scott.
I avoided Fords all my adult life, probably as some weird rebellion against my old man who was Always Ford. I repaired and drove GMC stuff, my cousin successfully drag raced with Chevy power plants. Camaros, Chev trucks, Plymouth (Duster) and Mopar (Challenger). I also went through a Toyota Phase, assemble a MR2 and a couple years ago a supercharged Mazda Miata (temperamental but fun). Not being particularly gifted (lol) I took my time and self taught with help of friends and sources like TRS. I rely on patience and persistence which has always prevailed in my excursions into unknown areas. Got to say, I do like a lot of what Ford does with their truck. Even the little Ranger. Preferring functionality over bells and whistles the Ranger is a perfect little truck. I can loan it to my kids for their use when needed. Backup for when my truck or my wife's car in the shop, taking those mud loving dogs on walks etc etc.
Regarding "cobbling stuff together". I saw a writeup on a Chev 327 powered Ranger build. Hmmmmmmm, looked interesting. Never attempted a "custom build". My wife just "puts up with it". lmao

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm kinda picky in the Ford's I screw with, stumbled on the Ranger platform and it's stuff it pretty decent but some of the other stuff is odd... my friends give me grief but whatever :), I just had to be different, it's what I do... I'm not too brand loyal just know what I've learned around here over 20 years I try things, and there's people like Bobby Walter that really mixes things up...

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm kinda picky in the Ford's I screw with, stumbled on the Ranger platform and it's stuff it pretty decent but some of the other stuff is odd... my friends give me grief but whatever :), I just had to be different, it's what I do... I'm not too brand loyal just know what I've learned around here over 20 years I try things, and there's people like Bobby Walter that really mixes things up...
Odd like the PVC placement? Absolutely right on that one...........

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals