• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 strange engine problems

Moosinatrix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 88 Ranger 2.3t running on n/a ecu with higher 45 psi fuel pump. Temporary setup while I'm saving for ecu and vam. The truck has been running good, just won't achieve high rpm because of map not being able to calculate the boost. But it has start this issue where I can be driving along, and it will start to cut out and will continue to do so if throttle is more then 20-25% almost as if it is running out of gas. It will do this until it stds out entirely. Takes about 2 mins or so for it to completely stall from the time it starts acting up.and won't get pass this issue unless I roll the key off and back on a couple times, I have checked relays, pump, and filter all are up to snuff. I have even run power to pump straight from battery. Nothing has resolved this issue, other then rolling the key a few times.
Pressure is also good. I can't check pressure while I'm driving it, and it only does this when driving.

Can anybody help me with this.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you drive it with jumper wire for fuel pump in place?
You just need to jump it in the fuel pump relay socket.

Thinking Fuel pump relay or wiring may be the issue.

You can turn on the fuel pump relay manually.
I am sure after all the wiring you did you know where the OBD1 connector is in the engine bay.
If you look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

Second drawing down has Fuel Pump slot labelled
That slot is the Ground for the fuel pump relay, it is connected/spliced to the same wire the computer uses to turn on fuel pump relay.
If you turn on the key, then put a jumper wire from that slot to a Ground you should hear fuel pump relay "click" and the fuel pump should start running.

Try driving like that

Moosinatrix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have already tried this, no difference.

UPDATE
I have since done a few tests/experiments and i think i have a solid diagnoses. First I will explain how I arrived at my conclusion.

I have noticed that the engine has been taking longer to start if I don't let the pump run the full 2 second prime cycle at least once but often times it takes 2 cycles.
This tells me that I'm not maintaining proper fuel pressure.
(Side note: when I jump the relay and listen under the hood I can hear the pump running like it has no fuel in the line s, then build pressure and then the for will make a strange little squeak and the pump will maintain same pitch/speed there after. Does this mean my fpr might faulty?)

Furthermore, I'm my numerous test drives, I noticed that this issue isn't intermittent as I thought. My original assumptio n was that the issue was some type of electrical issue that was caused by something being jostled around as I drive.
But as I played around with it more (cycling the key, and trying to pinpointing at what throttle response the problem made its self apparent (my initial inclinations were leaning toward tps issue.) During my throttle response testing, I discovered that the issue was always there at anything above approx. 85% throttle, I was unsure as to whether or not this could be due to the fact that my ecm is for n/A 2.3 and and used a MAP sensor and therefore it was unable to determine proper fuel requirement under boost. As I let out of throttle slowly, I realized that when I backed off from approx 90% throttle the problem went away, I then maintain Throttle and the issue would resurface, back off more til it straightens out, maintain throttle again and it would be fine for a little while longer, and again it started acting up, this pattern continued until the engine would do nothing but idle and in most cases stall. I ran this "test" multiple times and consistently received these results.

I was told check ignition switch and wires. So I ran the engine while the vehicle set in the drive way and did the tappity-tap-tap on the ignition switch and column, no change on engine operation. I then juggled the wires and Molex connector, again no apparent change. Did I g this idle/park test, I also noticed the engine would have a rhythmic idle variation and intermittent misfiring. Installed new spark plugs and added dielectric grease. Plug woes aren't in the greatest condition, but are pretty much guaranteed to be good. Cap and rotor are brand new.

Now, all that taken into account I have reached the conclusion that either the hose between pump and hanger assembly is leaking somehow its the pump itself is failing, i.e. declining in speed and /or clogging, generally just crapping out. The filter is new, but I cleaned it via shaking and knockit ariund and finally blew it out with air gun.

Furthermore, I was informed it could be choking out from running to rich, as I have checked plugs ,cyl 1 exceptional amount of soot on it after running engine for a while, the rest appeared to be minorly rich but for the most part they appeared to be acceptable. But a trip to the parts house in said vehicle for new plugs, I changed in the parking lot. All plugs were showing to be a bit lean but still in the area of desirable peanut butter color. (And the elctrodes werent warn at all. ( just remembered that is used the stock ranger 2.3 head which I had previously just replaced plugs less then 100 mi. Ago.

So again all signs point to leaking hanger/pump hire or failing pump. Anybody agree??

While in topic of fuel system, what is static fuel pressure??

I still have more to diagnose but this issue is then most prevalent and annoyying in the list, more posts to follow.

Moosinatrix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Geez that was an elaborate post I didn't even realize, lol, my only internet access is his cell phone and i can't see alot of what I type, but I think i provided sufficient info for anyone to pinpoint the cause. :)

Thank you everyone, for any insight and the help with everything guys, I have been probing info here for a long while now, and it has been my greatest resource in my repertoire.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals