• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 and 4.0 OHV oil filter adapter seal part #'s

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had a heck of a time finding the right O rings for these so hopefully someone will find this information useful - FYI the adapter from the 4.0 will apparently bolt onto a 2.9 and vise versa, as per Ford anyway. You may be able to get away with reusing the green washer and big washer on either application - the little black one in the middle gets absolutely cooked and comes out broken every time. I think that's where leaks develop here.

The 2.9 info may apply to 2.8 adapters as well, I no longer have one to confirm but it appears to be the same or similar.

FYI you CAN replace these with the exhaust in place, it is not too bad on a 2.9 truck, 4.0 is a lot less fun. A stubby 3/4 or 19mm wrench is what you will need.

2.9 adapter uses one little O ring, one big O ring, and a copper washer.
Small O ring - Felpro 413 or equivalent
Big O ring - Mahle B32794 or Victor Reinz 711351400 - there are two listed for the 2.9, a thick one and a thin one. The thin one was what I needed, 2.45 IN I.D.; with .103 IN Width. Also available at hydraulic shops
Copper washer - NLA - just reuse what you have

4.0 adapter uses three O rings - two small ones and a big one
Small black O ring - Felpro 413 or equivalent
Green O ring - Ford only part - E9TZ-6749-A - nothing else will fit correctly that I have found, it is a metric half size supposedly.
Big O ring - Felpro 72884 or equivalent - the "thick" one that's listed for the 2.9 adapter fits here - 0.141 (in) Width; 2.482 (in) Inside Diameter

2.9 adapter & all its pieces:
IMG_0566.JPG

4.0 adapter:
IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Great information; thank you for posting.

Your info looks to be perfect, especially with including the dimensions. GREAT pictures, too.

The oil filter adapter is a common leak point on Colognes often overlooked, and it's not too bad of a job to replace these seals. If you have the transmission out anyway, that's a great time to do it with the better access.

In case it's helpful, here is what I have on these which may give some cross referencing for other manufacturer's part numbers (and in my case I also have a 2.8 to maintain).

I can't garrauntee the accuracy of my notes, and the info is several years old so the prices are at that time, and not today's pricing. Looks like I pulled all of these part number off of RockAuto ("+ S" is "plus shipping"; "OOS" is "out of stock"). I've bought these from Rock, and also had my local mom-and-pop parts store order them. In fact, the mom-and-pop store found the green o-ring for me, delivered from the local Ford dealership.

oil filter seals.JPG

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A note on copper washers. Heat them up red hot and drop into water. This will anneal the copper so its soft again. Over time the copper washer gets work hardened and may not seal properly if not annealed.
I learned this when I was doing a pre-apprentice course in diesel mechanics many years ago.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's interesting, and good to know.

I'm not sure I would do that with this one unless I had a spare - I used a 3M finger disc to clean up mine and it appeared to be some other material that was copper plated. There were a couple small spots where the inner material was showing through. It's not leaking in any case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals