• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L JBA Header Installation.

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
What's up!

About a month or two ago, I was able to score on a set of JBA 2.9L Headers to install on my 88' Ranger XLT 2.9 4x4 '5 Speed. Dropped them off last week to get cleaned and powder coated so they would look brand new and just got them back today.

As you can tell, they came out great and I plan on installing them on my truck here soon. I have experience installing headers on a friend's 86' Chevy C20 and on my own personal 94' Camaro Z28 and if any of you fellow 4th Gen F-Body owner's know, installing headers on those cars are an absolute nightmare.

1000006959.jpg

1000007600.jpg
1000007602.jpg
1000007601.jpg

20240419_185516.jpg

What I would like to know is if installing headers on an 88' XLT Extended Cab 2.9 4x4 '5 Speed is difficult?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Shouldn’t be too bad, drivers side will be the worst. Hope no bolts break off in the heads- be very patient, use heat. Top side ones are always fragile, bottom ones usually come right out. I heat the head where they go through the block… propane torch is fine… penetrating lube can help too.

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
Shouldn’t be too bad, drivers side will be the worst. Hope no bolts break off in the heads- be very patient, use heat. Top side ones are always fragile, bottom ones usually come right out. I heat the head where they go through the block… propane torch is fine… penetrating lube can help too.
For newer models, I've seen people take the front tires off along with the fender liners to help with the install. Would that be a good idea for my truck? I'm pretty confident I could do it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Wouldn't hurt, I don't know if it's really necessary. All the bolts are relatively easy to get to from within the engine bay. Depends what you have for tools more than anything. 10mm flex head GearWrench and a 1/4" flex head ratchet should allow you to access all of the bolts.

JerrySab

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had an absolute bear of a time getting the headers disconnected from the y-pipe, I was going in from above. somebody much wiser here said they go in from under the vehicle with extensions, and that was a breeze by comparison. ALSO, random, because I was too hamfisted, if you unbolt the manifolds first and then go for the y pipe, the assembly is prone to spin. I didn't realize until later, the Y pipe on the driver side had actually pushed up against the transmission shifter linkage and caused it to separate. y'all are way better at this than me, but putting it out there just in case it;s helpful.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@TexasDuck66 ,
After a week, swimming in penetrating oil, then using my prize Mac impact driver 6 of the 12 bolts sheared off flush. I vowed to never again even considered pulling exhaust manifolds with the engine installed.

Removing those sheared fasteners would have taken me much less time, if I had pulled the heads to remove the sheared fasteners on my bench. I wish you the best results.

I recommend using a reputable brand of locking header bolt for your installation; while I would not have paid to have triple nickel coated headers powder coated, I will not install headers without locking header bolts...$75 well spent. My go-to brand is Stage8.

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
@TexasDuck66 ,
After a week, swimming in penetrating oil, then using my prize Mac impact driver 6 of the 12 bolts sheared off flush. I vowed to never again even considered pulling exhaust manifolds with the engine installed.

Removing those sheared fasteners would have taken me much less time, if I had pulled the heads to remove the sheared fasteners on my bench. I wish you the best results.

I recommend using a reputable brand of locking header bolt for your installation; while I would not have paid to have triple nickel coated headers powder coated, I will not install headers without locking header bolts...$75 well spent. My go-to brand is Stage8.
I see, I run Stage 8 on my 94' Camaro with Kook's Headers as of now since last October. I wanted those headers powder coated/cleaned up and looking nice because they were ugly. I take this truck to shows and opening the hood to have ugly rusty headers just doesn't sit well with me.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@TexasDuck66 ,
In an attempt to get the highest efficiency from my headers I installed exhaust jackets (which immediately voided the header warranty). While they do not improve the look, they do help maintain the highest possible exhaust velocity...just a thought.

I used Thermo-Tec exhaust jackets, which were painted with silver hi-temp paint to both protect the material and try to improve the look; after about 21 years the jacket material started to breakup a little, so I replaced it. All that is visible of the headers are the flanges and just barely. This also helped keep under hood temperatures lower...a twofer!!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals