• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2 Inch leveling springs and trouble aligning

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I installed skyjacker 132X 2" leveling springs for my front end in my 1997 4x4. Ive been having a ridiculous time getting a decent alignment. I need the truck for the road now and not just the woods so need somewhat normal tire wear.

It drives straight and the toe is fine, just want to get rid of the positive camber so im not riding on my sidewalls. Ive gone through a few caster/camber bushings and when camber is good caster sucks and when caster lines up camber is way to positive.

Anyone with experience here? I know it can be done im just missing something?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Can you get the camber right and have an equal caster spread? Your most likely not going to get good caster, if its even it'll be ok, though it might follow the ruts on the highways.

Sounds like your truck is on that fine line between stock and 4" lift w/ drop radius arm brackets.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Some people can get away with those springs and still get it aligned. Some simply cant. at some point everyone needs drop brackets to keep lifting, and its usually right around 2" I think.

Have you looked into replacing the camber bushings? there are adjustable ones available.

Are you trying to align it yourself, or is a shop having troubles?

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Can you get the camber right and have an equal caster spread? Your most likely not going to get good caster, if its even it'll be ok, though it might follow the ruts on the highways.

Sounds like your truck is on that fine line between stock and 4" lift w/ drop radius arm brackets.
Thats right where im at now. The camber is correct on both sides and the tread wear is pretty equal. The caster is somewhat even. The truck tracks straight with no issue but its super sensitive to any bump or uneveness in the road. It takes the classis 10 and 2 hand positions to just keep it away from the curb/ditch or other lane when on an uneven section.

If thats how its going to be then ill just live with it. I dont want to get drop brackets and lose the clearence on the front differential I gained or lift any higher.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Some people can get away with those springs and still get it aligned. Some simply cant. at some point everyone needs drop brackets to keep lifting, and its usually right around 2" I think.

Have you looked into replacing the camber bushings? there are adjustable ones available.

Are you trying to align it yourself, or is a shop having troubles?
Ive played with a few fixed and adjustable bushings. The best ones I have now is the 0-4+- adjustable ones. I can get it lined up close its just the steering is triple the stock sensitivety. I align it myself then take it to the machine and have it adjusted to where its best.

The springs have been in for two months now so they are settled. I know sometimes right off the bat you can gain 2.5" of lift until they settle so thats why I waited to align it until now.

Just thought it would work out better. Ive seen a lot of other Ford TTBs with the 2" leveling kit in the front and need nothing more than a 0-2.5 adjustable caster/camber bushing:icon_confused:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can get it lined up close its just the steering is triple the stock sensitivety.
What exactly is wrong with the steering? Every bump you hit is fighting with you?

Lifting a ranger even a small ammount can **** up the steering because of how the steering is designed. To correct bump-steer you need to get your steering to drop back to its original position with a new pitman arm.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
What exactly is wrong with the steering? Every bump you hit is fighting with you?

Lifting a ranger even a small ammount can **** up the steering because of how the steering is designed. To correct bump-steer you need to get your steering to drop back to its original position with a new pitman arm.
I got it to where its sensitive but driveable now with the 0-4+- bushings. Its aligned the best it can be now without drop brackets or any other custom parts.

I did look for a drop pitman arm but they are all to long for the small lift I have. The drag link/tie rods are not at all uneven. They maybe moved very minimal from the stock position which wasnt level to begin with.

I drove it 230 miles this morning and it was sensitive but not as bad as before where it was like driving off road on the road. The turn in response is like a sports car now. Other than that seems to be normal for the PITA time I had with aligning it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you can do something to drop your radius arms down about 1.5" (bracket spacers or something), I think that would solve your caster issue.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah lifting 2" can be a real pain, because its too small for brackets or a new pitman arm, but too big to align with stock components. Sometimes there is just no winning lol

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I was just looking at that last night when I had it up in the air to check flex and u joint bind. I think ill drop the radius arm bracket and replace the bushings on both then put the bracket back up with washers to drop it down just a bit and see what im dealing with.

My other 97 has been on hold until I knew just what I was doing with this one and I think now Im just going to go 4" suspension lift and avoid screwing around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals