• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 4.0 Oil level - Always very high on stick.

Anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
I've been driving my 2000 4.0 4x4 Ranger for 3 years w/ no trouble other than a new thermostat.
The oil level on the dip stick always reads very high, like an inch above the hatch marks. ??? :icon_confused:
Could I have the wrong dip stick, or why would this be? It has 133,000 miles, 117,00 when I bought it.

Any 2000 4.0 owners wanna measure the stick.

Thanks.

:mad:

30coupe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Question number one. Most importantly, do you change your own oil? My dad always takes his vehicles to the dealer for oil changes (until I changed him to Amsoil, so I do the changes). MANY times the dipsticks at the dealership overfilled his crankcase by one quart (about what yours appears to be).

If you have your oil done by someone else, check it before you leave their lot.

Question number two: does your oil look milky? This is a sign that water/antifreeze is getting into your crankcase via blown head gasket, cracked head, or (heaven forbid) a cracked block.

Least likely of all is your truck is manufacturing oil, in which case I want to buy it from you :shok: :icon_rofl:

My guess is question number one is the key to your dilemma. Good luck.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dipsticks do not measure oil level. They measure the difference between the level when filled and the level when checked. If it truly ALWAYS reads high, some idiot is overfilling your crankcase.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals