• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Auto. Kicking out of gear....

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2001 4x4 4.0 It kicks out like its in neutral for a few seconds, then goes back into gear. I changed the fluid about 10,000 miles ago, I keep checking it and its fine. Everyone keeps saying that sounds like low fluid, but its not. It does it most of the time on a hill, faceing either direction. Any ideas??

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Do you check your oil, engine idling and trans in park ? Can you give us more details, like if it's appen at full throttle or else. when this as begun. etc

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you check your oil, engine idling and trans in park ? Can you give us more details, like if it's appen at full throttle or else. when this as begun. etc
Yes I checked the oil like that. It only happens with a little bit of throttle, like when you start to pull out of your driveway. Go about 10 feet and it will kick out for a few seconds, then kick back into gear. It happened 2 times about 10-15,000 miles ago, I changed my filter and fluid, kept a eye on it. Hasnt happened untill the past week or two, now its servel times a day, most of the time its right after startup and on some kind of hill. Say the engine has been running for more than 15 min. it doesnt happen.
Truck has 149,900 miles on it.

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I also live on a gravel road that can be ruff, I go down the road pretty fast. I was also told not to throw out the chance of it being the shift cable/linkage....

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Possibly you cut the o-ring on the filter. You could over fill the trans by a litre or so and see if the condition improves. If that doesn't work, get yourself a pressure guage and see what the PSI reads when the trans neutrals. Might be the EPC solenoid or those valve body gaskets blown out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals