• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) 2002 Ranger 2 EGR incomplete despite multiple drive cycles

BMA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello Everyone! My first post! Yay!

I haven't been able to find anything anywhere about this problem.

I've gone through 2 tanks of gas trying to figure this out. The drive cycle requires 8 hours sitting, 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas, plus 10-15 minutes of drive time to warm up, then
"EGR Monitor - From a stop, accelerate to 45 MPH at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat this pattern 3 times."

Still, I get "EGR Incomplete"

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, that's all correct
There can be no codes pending
Engine must be full warmed up

The gas tank 1/2 to 3/4 is for EVAP test not EGR so doesn't matter for EGR reset
Outside temp should be 40-90degF, although it can be colder or hotter this is just best temp range
Parking for 8 hours is just for EVAP bypass not EGR

If EGR is the on test not complete I would do a PCM reset so it has to retest all systems

There is something else at work here, EGR should complete after 2 drive cycles if not 1, EVAP is usually the hold out, lol
One Drive cycle is coolant heating up above 160degF, then cooling down below 120degF
2nd drive cycle is when it heats up above 160degF again

I am sure you have already read it but heres the Ford info about clearing code P1000: http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My drive cycle route is 5 miles at 45 to 55 mph going out, same 5 miles back, then hop on the interstate and cruise at 55 to 60 for another 5 or so and back again. Rarely do I not have all the monitors set at the end of that anD usually it will l be the evaporated that doesn't go.

BMA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Reviving an old thread because I'm hoping this helps someone. EGR was still not completing despite multiple drive cycles. I had a mechanic look at it and he said everything looked good, but he suggested I change out the coolant temperature sensor (which meant a new thermostat) and the cylinder head temperature sensor (I had to 3D print an extra deep 19mm socket for that one). The truck became a thing to tinker with when I felt like it, which wasn't often. A few drive cycles following the rules and it still wouldn't complete.

Those two things may have helped, but I found some obscure tricks to try. The drive cycle says for the EGR monitor, "From a stop, accelerate to 45 MPH at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat this pattern 3 times." This is what I did over and over. Instead, this is what finally worked:

(Note this is for a manual transmission)
(At each stop, idle at least 10 seconds in neutral.)

Warm up the engine for at least 5 minutes
From a stop, accelerate gently to at least 45 MPH using the following steps
Shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear between 13mph and 15mph
Remain in 2nd gear for at least 5 seconds
Shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear between 23mph and 25mph
Shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear between 33mph and 40mph
Shift from 4th gear to 5th gear between 39mph and 45mph
While in 5th gear, maintain a speed above 45mph for at least 30 seconds.

This still needs to be done multiple times, but if you use these speeds to shift, you'll see that staying in 2nd gear for at least 5 seconds is a much gentler acceleration than even 1/4 throttle. Keeping a gentle acceleration like this throughout seems to be what finally did it.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals