• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 ranger 4.0 keeps blowing fuse 26

jharms02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 ford ranger xlt extended cab 4.0 liter, power windows mirrors etc.

It blows the fuse immediately when you put it in. It blows the fuse with the gem module unplugged as well.

I have unplugged the drivers window switch, and the fuse doesn't blow. So I unplugged the "one touch window relay located under the dash. As soon as I plug the the drivers side switch back in the window immediately rolls down with the relay removed, and the fuse does not blow.

When the fuse is blown or removed, and everything else is plugged in, (the driver side switch, and the relay) I can roll the window up and down just fine. The one touch operation however does not work.

I've searched the forums that is how I got this far.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Not sure why messing with the window is affecting fuse 26. Here's a overall power distribution diagram showing fuse 26.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You unplugged the GEM, still blows the fuse. Can you find the restraints module, the instrument cluster, and the aux relay box 1?

P.S. Looks like the one touch relay and several others are located in Aux relay box 1

Attachments

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
I have a 2002 ford ranger xlt extended cab 4.0 liter, power windows mirrors etc.

It blows the fuse immediately when you put it in. It blows the fuse with the gem module unplugged as well.

I have unplugged the drivers window switch, and the fuse doesn't blow. So I unplugged the "one touch window relay located under the dash. As soon as I plug the the drivers side switch back in the window immediately rolls down with the relay removed, and the fuse does not blow.

When the fuse is blown or removed, and everything else is plugged in, (the driver side switch, and the relay) I can roll the window up and down just fine. The one touch operation however does not work.

I've searched the forums that is how I got this far.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
My best guess is that something in the one touch window relay is fried, since that’s the only thing that changes if the fuse blows. If I remember correctly, the one touch function is on a different fuse than the “normal” power window function, which is why that still works when the relay is removed.

I would see if you can find a pin out of the relay and test it. If it sticks closed when you activate the one touch, once the window reaches the bottom of its travel it would be very easy for the regulator to pull enough current at stall to blow the fuse.

It is also possible that something internally in the window switch is shorted or broken, as there are multiple contacts for each of the functions.

I still haven’t fixed mine, I can’t roll up my passenger window from the driver’s side.

jharms02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for replying!

I thought about taking the interior lamp relay and putting it in the one touch down relay socket, and will try it this morning now that I have more fuses.

I have replaced the switch out of a parts ranger I have.

As for the restraints module, I have not located that yet. The air bag light does flash code 29 a few times then stays illuminated. Do you think it's connected to my problem, I have not gone down that path yet. As having a working speedometer and windshield wipers this time of year are more important. (Controled by the gem on fuse 26).

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Did you click on the attachment in my previous post? Seeing fuse 26 is only 10 amp, and is hot all the time, I am thinking it is for smaller chores like memory maintaining or some other small control function in these modules. I am thinking it is not doing any heavy weight chores like opening windows and such, though it is involved in the control of these windows.

Here is another attachment showing the GEM module, and the power connections to it. But of course you know it's not the problem, you unplugged the GEM and it still blew the fuse.

What's interesting is the previous attachment showed fuse 26 also feeding the instrument cluster. And you mentioned your speedometer doesn't work.

Attachments

jharms02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you click on the attachment in my previous post? Seeing fuse 26 is only 10 amp, and is hot all the time, I am thinking it is for smaller chores like memory maintaining or some other small control function in these modules. I am thinking it is not doing any heavy weight chores like opening windows and such, though it is involved in the control of these windows.

Here is another attachment showing the GEM module, and the power connections to it. But of course you know it's not the problem, you unplugged the GEM and it still blew the fuse.

What's interesting is the previous attachment showed fuse 26 also feeding the instrument cluster. And you mentioned your speedometer doesn't work.
I did thanks! I have not been outside to the pickup this morning yet.

From my understanding the gem controls the one touch down, interior light battery saver, windshield wipers speedometer and odometer. So when that fuse goes I lose all those features.

But if I have the window switch un plugged the fuse doesn't blow and all those items work.

Or I can remove the module and the fuse does not blow but the window rolls down unless the switch is un plugged. It will continue to and try and roll down even after it's at the bottom. I can still hear the motor hum.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Thanks for replying!

I thought about taking the interior lamp relay and putting it in the one touch down relay socket, and will try it this morning now that I have more fuses.

As for the restraints module, I have not located that yet. The air bag light does flash code 29 a few times then stays illuminated. Do you think it's connected to my problem, I have not gone down that path yet. As having a working speedometer and windshield wipers this time of year are more important. (Controled by the gem on fuse 26).
The restraint module is under the cupholder on the floor, bolted to the transmission tunnel. You will either have to remove the cupholder, or if a manual, the shifter boot and trim.

jharms02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do you think I should try unplugging that as well?

jharms02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I broke out my multi meter. And I definately have continuity on the back of fuse 26 to ground. The only time I don't have continuity is when I un plug the switch. So I checked all the wires in the plug and the only one that has continuity to ground is the ground wire.

I have changed out the switch so it's not that. I'm not great at electrical Gremlins but not scared to research and learn.

Thanks for the help so far.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Thanks for replying!

Are you sure your code is 29? Because code 29 is for “incorrect vehicle identification code”, i.e. the VINs flashed to both the PCM and RCM are not the same. There is very little on code 29, some say it doesn’t even exist. I did find this post over on ford-trucks.com.

It is possible, though I have never seen it, that an incorrect RCM could cause other issues. Has your ranger ever been in an accident?

From ford-trucks.com

Code 29 = “Incorrect Vehicle Identification Code”

“The restraints control module (RCM) monitors the voltage at pins 10, 13 and 14 to determine if it is installed on the correct vehicle. If the RCM detects an incorrect voltage on any of these pins, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1414 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 29 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

An incorrect vehicle identification 29/C1414 code could be caused by:

- an RCM installed on the wrong vehicle.
- an incorrectly programmed RCM.
- vehicle ID pins not connected as expected.

The RCM is located behind the center of the dash. You'll have to remove the beverage/utility tray (if so equipped) to get at it.

WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure your code is 29? Because code 29 is for “incorrect vehicle identification code”, i.e. the VINs flashed to both the PCM and RCM are not the same. There is very little on code 29, some say it doesn’t even exist. I did find this post over on ford-trucks.com.

It is possible, though I have never seen it, that an incorrect RCM could cause other issues. Has your ranger ever been in an accident?

From ford-trucks.com

Code 29 = “Incorrect Vehicle Identification Code”

“The restraints control module (RCM) monitors the voltage at pins 10, 13 and 14 to determine if it is installed on the correct vehicle. If the RCM detects an incorrect voltage on any of these pins, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1414 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 29 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

An incorrect vehicle identification 29/C1414 code could be caused by:

- an RCM installed on the wrong vehicle.
- an incorrectly programmed RCM.
- vehicle ID pins not connected as expected.

The RCM is located behind the center of the dash. You'll have to remove the beverage/utility tray (if so equipped) to get at it.

WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).
First I have heard of any codes. He had fuse 26 blowing.

jharms02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First I have heard of any codes. He had fuse 26 blowing.
Sorry, I asummed it was unrelated until the restraints module was mentioned. Currently my instrument cluster is out so I can't double check the blink count.

I still think it is unrelated.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
It probably is, just figured I’d chime in there too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals