• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger 4.0L Turns over super fast, but starts normally

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. (Yes, I’ll do an intro later.)

Background: I have a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 with the 4.0L SOHC. It has the very beginnings of the dreaded timing chain rattle, and i am trying to preserve the engine/timing for a bit more until I am able to do the timing.
To do this, and someone else on a forum suggested this, is, before you start it, push the gas all the way down. This put the engine in flood mode, and does not fire the injectors. This allows you to crank the engine indefinitely without it starting. So you “floor it”, and crank it for 5 seconds, rest, repeat until you have oil pressure. This relives the stress (and audible rattle at startup) on the chains from the failing tensioners. And it works great, I do it at the beginning of the day when the engine is dead cold and it keeps the start up rattle away.

Anyway. Been doing this almost since I got this
tuck. Today, I go to do this, and when it is turning over it is going super super fast, far faster than normal. Enough to shake the cab even.
I was super worried, but then I went to start it once I had pressure and it started right up, as usual. Now I’m confused, as I am worried something is wrong, but it starts fine so I dunno. I have also repeated it multiple times, same result. Also, no loss of power is noticeable, but I don’t push it too much as it is because of the timing.

Would some of you wonderful people offer some advice?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You just need to crank for 5-8 seconds then release the gas pedal while still cranking and it will start normally, after 5 or 6 seconds oil pressure is as high as 200rpm will get it

Faster starter spin could be a sign the starter may be failing, odd failure mode but possible if its drawing too many amps
Or battery cables may have a better connection for some reason, so before you had limited amps and now it gets full amps

I doubt its related to lower compression from a slipped timing chain or it would be "loppy"
And you would notice much less power when running

Just a heads up, the guide is already broken, that's what causes "the rattle" noise, so damage done
But yes, baby it on start up

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Thanks! I didn’t know it would start if you just let go after a bit, that makes my life significantly easier. And yeah, the guide is already broken- I stuck an inspection camera down once I had removed a valve cover. Thankfully it’s not too bad, but it sure is broken.

And it definitely doesn’t seem lopey at all when cranking, it’s just like normal but fast. And that’s why I doubted it was a slipped chain- because it runs great still, no CEL, no misfires, and plenty(as much as the 4L has to give) of power.

Thank you, and I’m excited to get more involved here!

Last edited:

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Curious, which TimingGuide is broken? FrontLeft or RearRight?
Also do the "Cold Engine Crank", for several years now;
have 260k+ miles on this original engine, so guess it has helped.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1. If you don't have oil pressure after 3 seconds of cranking, there is some issue with the oil pump or bearing clearances, because it comes up very quickly.

2. The starter spinning faster is an indicator that some of the windings in the starter motor are shorted, so it is drawing more current than it should and thus spinning faster. I would replace the starter as soon as you can, otherwise you will find yourself doing it in some random parking lot, at night, in the rain, on an occasion where you don't have the time for it. btdt.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Yeah- i get oil pressure after ~3 to 5 seconds of cranking, but I go a bit longer to make sure it reaches the tensioners.
As for the starter, noted. I’ll replace it anyway like you said to be sure- original starter is still on there and it could use a new one. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals