• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 Ranger 3.0 transmission overdrive issues

Lakewind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger shifts smoothly in all gears. The problem is when I step on the gas and the trans tries to down shift from overdrive the transmission struggles and jutters. I can hit the O/D off button on the end of the turn signal and it will down shift from overdrive without issue but when I step on the accelerator and it tries to downshift automatically the truck will jutter like it's trying to upshift and down shift rapidly. I believe it's the 5R44E transmission in my 2005 Ranger 3.0 L. At 256,000 miles the Ranger has been the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. Has anyone had this issue with this transmission before? I tried Youtube but no luck there. I would greatly appreciate any input.

Lakewind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
This must be a problem that only I have encountered.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
have you tried Explorer Forums? they don't have 3.0 engines, but do have similar transmissions in the 4.0 models.
or Ford Truck Enthusiasts News - Ford-Trucks.com
they have transmission sections.

not trying to scare you away, just pointing out additional resources.

Lakewind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks pjtoledo for your response. I'll will take your advice. The rangerstation.com claims the 5R44E transmission is the one in my 2005 Ranger so I thought I would try here first.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger shifts smoothly in all gears. The problem is when I step on the gas and the trans tries to down shift from overdrive the transmission struggles and jutters. I can hit the O/D off button on the end of the turn signal and it will down shift from overdrive without issue but when I step on the accelerator and it tries to downshift automatically the truck will jutter like it's trying to upshift and down shift rapidly. I believe it's the 5R44E transmission in my 2005 Ranger 3.0 L. At 256,000 miles the Ranger has been the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. Has anyone had this issue with this transmission before? I tried Youtube but no luck there. I would greatly appreciate any input.
might be dirty fluid in the TCC clutch shift solenoid ( the solenoid has a plunger with a filter) located in the pan , its easy to change out for a novice mechanic. do not suck the fluid out ! only drain it . measure it in a home depot quart bucket then refill the same. I advise adding a tranny pan by dorman with the drain bolt... once you add the fluid, shift your truck slowly into every gear and allow it to flow into the gears . or else itll run dry or spill over the overflow breather tube .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals