• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 STX Sus problems

Craig915

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger STX
Transmission
Manual
I have an STX with 4-5 in lift with 33s and I cannot find the correct front shocks for the life of me everything I buy or research ends up being for torsion front suspension rangers. I have one that is literally snapped in half and I can’t find any suitable replacements anywhere. Please help!!
P.S. I do indeed have coil sprung front with the shock absorber going up the middle to the frame. I actually need help finding this part. Bilstiens are out of the question. Any other brand other than rough country is welcome. (Rough country sent torsion front shocks instead of proper parts. So $100 wasted.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I say the OP should probably post a couple pictures of what he is dealing with. These trucks have been modified and stickers are cheap. Who knows what he is dealing with.

I'm not a fan of rough country necessarily... but they probably sent what you ordered. No reason to post negative feedback when they did what you asked them to do.

If you do have coil overs... most options are going to be pricey. I would try to replace the broken parts with the same so you don't end up mismatched. Most of these offerings are rebuilable and can have valving altered. Ensure you are getting something that matches your good unit.

Craig915

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger STX
Transmission
Manual
It’s gonna be coil over shock absorbers but not the kind your thinking. They are two separate pieces there’s a diagram on here in the spec forums. The person I bought the truck from had modified it or bought it modified, he never specified. The problem I’m having is that everywhere I shop has a pic and the part number that says it’s supposed to fit my truck but then I get the part and it’s for torsion front suspension. Quite frustrating and I get it not many lifted 2wd rangers and there were only a few models that had my front suspension that were 4x4. However even the off-road shop I visited today stated that they didn’t quite get it either. I’ll post pics of what is on there but whoever did the lift left the stock Monroe type shock absorbers and it looks to be cut rubicon express coils for a jeep. I’ve had one and I know the color. Well at any point at rest the shock absorbers are always at max extension they didn’t have any issues during compression so when I put them back on after the ones I bought didn’t fit I figure hey it’s lasted this long maybe it’ll last a bit longer and one straight up broke in half. Again I’ll post pics but the only ford ranger shocks on RC website that cover 4in lift are the ones I ordered and they were wrong. I think they need to add submodels and sus types to avoid that but then they wouldn’t sell as many products that get voided when you install them or attempt to and they don’t work. And the reason they get shade at them is because I tried several times to email them and never got a response. So yeah they are wrong no matter how you slice it so they won’t get any more of my business.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Measure what you need for compressed and extended lengths, then start looking at shock catalogues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals