• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2007 sport 4wd conversion

mr_woodster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there, Thanks for the great forum. I've been a long time lurker and I've soaked up a ton of great knowledge on these forums.

Lately I've been exploring the Idea of converting my 2007 3.0 auto Sport to 4x4.

Yes, i've done a search :icon_cheers:

From what I've been able to dig up, Seems the Front end differential setup is pretty straight forward (needing a bracked welded to the frame):icon_welder:.

My question in regards to the Front differential is:

It needs to be the same gear ratio as the rear correct? (in my case 4.10)

Is any 98+ front differential a worthy canidate or are there changes in the later model diffs?

I believe i have the 5R44E trans (being a 3.0 auto-5speed) and reading through some other swaps, the Output shaft is going to be needing to be swapped with a 4x4 shaft+ tail housing.

This is where there doesnt seem to be alot of information. Does the 5R55E 4x4 shaft swap into the 5R44EE ? What is the best shaft for (or which one to stay away from? ) my 07' trans? :icon_confused:

Also Transfer cases, Is it pretty much anyone goes (the difference being manual or automatic locking) ? I see alot of transfer cases available, but not alot front Differentials.

I guess I'm looking for any tips in regards to the above questions, or advice in general.

Also, who here has the latest model 4x4 conversion? (hoping not to be the newest /first one :p )

thanks!
PS: this isn't my first project , i would say I have a pretty good grasp on custom projects/skills required. :icon_cheers:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why not just go with a solid axle swap for all its worth... It would probaby be simpler.

As for transmission you'll need a 4x4 version of your transmission and a T case that goes with it.

Anyways its more cost effective to purchase a 4x4 ranger.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just go with a solid axle swap for all its worth... It would probaby be simpler.

As for transmission you'll need a 4x4 version of your transmission and a T case that goes with it.

Anyways its more cost effective to purchase a 4x4 ranger.
^^^What he said....buy a 4x4 Ranger!!!!!

:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

mr_woodster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your help, but cost wise, its NOT cheaper.

So far I've priced the transfer case @ 250$ (or less depends on year)
Front axle witha 4.10 ratio was 300$ or less.
Tail shaft housing was 60$
Tail shaft 65$
Rebuild kit 85$
Knuckles 65x2 = 120$
axles front axles = 120$ (together)
Rotors/pads bearings,

I figure between 1000-1,500 total if im doing the work.
That price is still less than the sales tax alone on buying a similar year/milage 4x4 ranger , Not to mention I bought this truck new and know the complete history of it AND i would still have to sell my Truck

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You can SAS it for about the same if not a little cheaper, have a way more capable rig, be able to handle larger tires (up to 38") if you decide to go that route, not to mention get away from the unit bearing hubs, as well as get free spinning hubs (manual locking hubs)...
SVT

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the big difference in swaping a 4x4 in a late model (Sport) is that he already has the torson front suspension, same frame as a 4x4 so it ought to be a lot cheaper than earlier years. Make sense?
Dave of the Nord

mr_woodster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the truck is essentially the same as a 4x4 suspension wise. I can see that it would be more aggressive with a SAS, but that route is far from stock (basicly removing the whole front supension system/steering).

I like the characteristics of my truck as is, it just needs a little more traction crawling up dirt trails.
I go out and play from time to time with friends who are 4x4 and the 2wd just cant get some places.

Keep in mind, this is mostly light trail blazing and no deepmudding/crawling

I'm finding the 4.10 front diffs are abundant, is there any recommendations for better than stock knuckles/hubs?

I've read that those can be a weak link in the factory setup.

I figure if im looking for a more solid setup I'd add a locker/limited slip to either end , thats down the road when more cash is set aside for play.

As stated, thankyou to those who have posted, your idea's and opinions are welcome as i continue forward.:icon_thumby:

Just looking for tips to add/improve the setup as i Go along.:icon_cheers:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Try adding a locker to the rear axle first. You can get an Aussie lunchbox locker for $255 (If you have a 31 spline axle), and others for not much more...This will be the fastest and easiest to try first, as it will have you down for only a couple hours, instead of a few days...If you find after that you still need more traction, then I'd upgrade to 4WD...
SVT

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing like raping a 4 year old truck. :shok:
Turning a 4x2 into a 4x4 will destroy the resale value when you sell it or trade it.
Horrible idea......if you want a 4x4, buy one.

mr_woodster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing like raping a 4 year old truck. :shok:
Turning a 4x2 into a 4x4 will destroy the resale value when you sell it or trade it.
Horrible idea......if you want a 4x4, buy one.
Based on what data? Have you seen a Ranger sport with 4x4 factory equipment added for sale?

A second thought is, i dont remember mentioning selling it or trading it in?:icon_confused:

Thanks for your help, i look forward to the example/data you've collected to form this opinion.

The reason i've been looking at this route is i have looked at 4x4 rangers (similar year/milage/condition) and the SALES TAX ALONE (not counting all the other transfer/registration fees) would cover converting my truck. Without the hassle of trying to sell my truck or find a good used one.

RangerSVT

Thanks for the tip, the locker is on my list of things to do and will help out quite abit with the crappy traction :icon_thumby:

exbass94

Thanks for the linked' build, i will add this to my favorites

I'm fairly supprised how many people are against going modifying anything :icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think there are two brackets that you need to get welded on. One on each side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals