• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2300 Head Alignment Dowels

TastySloth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My old man raced mini stocks and Outlaws for years using this engine and has done all kinds of tricks to pull just a little more power. Even turning down the aux cam and making his own flywheels. As far as I remember, he never did this on any of his engines.

Okay, a few months ago (more like in the summer) I was at the hydroplane races and the guys there were all running 2300's in their boats. I watched one of the mechanics put a new head on his engine when something weird happened. He set the head on the block, put some of the head bolts in loose-like then shoved the head to the back of the block. I realized he didn't have any dowels in that SOB. Then I started thinking... (obviously not fast enough because I didn't think to ask)

Does this enhance performance at all? I mean, the offset of the combustion chamber can't be easy on the head gasket, but does it raise compression or what? Clearance for bigger exhaust or intake valves? (Honestly I don't know because I haven't looked closely at one of the heads for almost a year.) I don't know any of the rules regarding valve size, cam, or crank stroke or what kind of fuel they are using.

I wouldn't do it on any engine driven more than a race or two, but I am curious. There has to be something to it because the guy went out and won after that...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmmm...not much play in them once you put a few bolts in...when I did mine the last time I didn't even use the dowels...just plopped it on as close as I could and then used my fingers to align it a millimeter or so...

I would think any offset would worsen combustion because, like I mentioned, there is very little room to move it around...and since the water jacket holes and oil holes are p;etty small you wouldn't want to be offsetting those too much because that would definitely affect performace...eventually...

Maybe different if you rebuild after every race though...don't know to be honest why they would want to otherwise though...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals