• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd Overlanding/Camping?

imnotpark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
hi im very new to anything to do with forums so cut me some slack...

im a big camper/explorer and love going out deep in the local bush. my problem is that my ford ranger (2004, 3.0L, 2wd) struggles to make it where i want to take it.
ive had a only 2 incidents getting stuck, one was being high centered on a hidden root where all of the weight was forward on the steer axle, and the other was due to being too ballsy in the fresh pow and needing a tow.

in my mind my two options are...
1. sell current truck and buy used low km 4x4 (will take 1-2 years more of saving)
or
2. put 2-3k into suspension, tires, other components and deal with the 2x4

so far my experiences have been amazing in this truck, but ive been looking into 4x4 rangers and their huge price tags and wondering if i really need 4x4?
i ride with my buddy who has a passed down jeep tj and he barely ever uses 4x4 when i have to ditch my truck to ride along deeper into the trail (i understand the differences between weight and wheel base between the vehicles)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
winch.......winch......and maybe another winch if your going where it can go. then a locker.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The things that make the biggest difference off improved roads are tires and axles. A good all terrain will do much of what a mud tire will do as long as the mud doesn't get too bad (Some mud is worse than others so mud tires may be the only option depending on where you are).

For axles, a locker is going to be a must with a RWD truck. You have nothing else helping you move if you have a wheel spinning. A locker would help a lot.

Bigger tires help but options are limited with how low a RWD sits. Giving it a lift will help with that and the bigger tires will give you about half of the increased size for a lift as well. For example, if you have a 29" tire and go to a 30" tire, that will lift the truck by 0.5".

I'm not sure what is out there for lifting a RWD truck. Perhaps a spring spacer might be it. The rear is easier since axle blocks are everywhere and will work on a 7.5" or 8.8" rear axle.

As far as the 4X4, it will get you more places and already have some lift in it already compared to a RWD. 2007 and earlier sit higher than the later Rangers. That being said, you can get pretty far with a RWD if you rig it right.

And the suggestion of a winch isn't a bad idea. Especially if you are venturing out on your own. They make hitches that mount in the front of a Ranger as well as the back if you want to mount one on a tray for more flexibility. Those who have dual winches tend to use the front more than the rear but the option is nice.

Another thing that might help some since you said the truck is struggling is to look at the gear ratio in your axle. Is the struggling just in clearing obstacles or is the truck having a hard time with power?

If it's power, changing from whatever you have to a lower ratio might help (higher number). If you have 3.55:1, you would definitely want to consider a lower ratio. 3.73:1 might be ok. 4.10:1 would help get the 3.0 into it's power band better (they need to rev higher than many engines to get there) and not kill you on the highway. If you have 3.5:1 and switch to 4.10:1, you might not even notice a difference in fuel economy. Swapping the whole rear axle is usually the cheapest and easiest way to get that done.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
hi im very new to anything to do with forums so cut me some slack...

im a big camper/explorer and love going out deep in the local bush. my problem is that my ford ranger (2004, 3.0L, 2wd) struggles to make it where i want to take it.
ive had a only 2 incidents getting stuck, one was being high centered on a hidden root where all of the weight was forward on the steer axle, and the other was due to being too ballsy in the fresh pow and needing a tow.

in my mind my two options are...
1. sell current truck and buy used low km 4x4 (will take 1-2 years more of saving)
or
2. put 2-3k into suspension, tires, other components and deal with the 2x4

so far my experiences have been amazing in this truck, but ive been looking into 4x4 rangers and their huge price tags and wondering if i really need 4x4?
i ride with my buddy who has a passed down jeep tj and he barely ever uses 4x4 when i have to ditch my truck to ride along deeper into the trail (i understand the differences between weight and wheel base between the vehicles)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Know your clearances and pick your line so you don't get caught on anything. That really is key.

Is your rear axle open, or does it have a limited slip? If it's open, you could add a locker to the existing differential without a lot of cost. If it's limited slip, learn to feather the brake and transfer power to the wheels.

Get a set of traction boards and carry in your bed in case you get stuck so you can slide them under your tires.

I'm not a fan of Hi-Lift jacks, but on a relatively stock truck it could either lift the truck up off of what you're stuck on, or you could use it to manually winch your truck free if it gets stuck.

Instead of spending a lot of money on a lift, get an 8,000lb winch.

You could crank your torsion bars for free and get 2-inches of lift in the front, and then install an add-a-leaf or longer Belltech shackles in the rear for a little more ground clearance.

Make sure you have good all-terrain tires for good traction.

Build it, overland it, and share what you do to it here to inspire others!

If this guy can overland a VW Bug, you can overland a 2WD Ranger:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You already have more than enough info to go on,
I would add an option to make your winch easily movable, for going from front to rear, then lock it up in the cab or tool box

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Good tires, a winch, and a locker would make a world of difference.

A 2wd can do more then you would expect...you just gotta plan your line a bit more and know when (and when not) to use the noise pedal.

Id like to add that also, if you have a manual, learning what gear to use in what situation is also very helpful. Ive had situations where 1st wouldnt move me, but 2nd (or even 3rd) and some fancy clutch/throttle work got me going.

Not sure what tire aize you have...but assuming 15 inch rims i highly reccomend the goodyear wrangler radial. They are pretty fairly priced, but only come in a 235/75r15.

If you dont mind spending a bit more you cant beat the BFG A/T, with honorable mention going to the general grabber ATX.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals