• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Fwd ? 3.0 Rwd

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is it possible to put a 3.0 from a frontwheel drive into a real wheel I have been hearing alot of stuff on this can anyone clear this up for me?

5.0B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Automatic
Anything's possible - There was a 1950's Henry J at the Good Guys Northwest Nationals this year with a Taurus SHO 24 valve V6. How much machining and fabricating do you want to do?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just did that swap on my 02, I installed an 07 3.0 Vulcan from a Taurus.
A 3.0 Vulcan FWD block & heads are the same as a RWD Vulcan 3.0, There is a difference in the head gaskets,intake exhaust manifolds, & accessories etc, But they can be swapped motor to motor. You need to change the head gaskets on a FWD to the RWD gaskets if your installing it into a Ranger as the FWD motor will run hotter than normal due to the Water pump cooling route differences if you leave the FWD head gaskets in place, change gaskets & your fine. Also there are diffeneces in the heads of Flex fuel vehicles versus gas only, The later model FFV heads have beehive springs, smaller valve stems & slighty higher compression due to the chamber differences. Mine was FFV motor in the 07 & 02 & the heads were identical. In my case the local yards wanted $800 or so for a Ranger 3.0 with 90K+ miles, I bought the Taurus 3.0 with 15K for $250.

JP02XLT

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
correct

JP02XLT is correct, just change the head gaskets and use your current ranger accessories.

pianoman99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L F/F
Transmission
Manual
A 3.0 Vulcan FWD block & heads are the same as a RWD Vulcan 3.0, There is a difference in the head gaskets,intake exhaust manifolds, & accessories etc, But they can be swapped motor to motor. You need to change the head gaskets on a FWD to the RWD gaskets if your installing it into a Ranger as the FWD motor will run hotter than normal due to the Water pump cooling route differences

JP02XLT
I'm in a similar situation with my 99 Ranger. I've located a 2007 Taurus engine for a good price.

Should I buy a gasket set for a 2007 Ranger?

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have replaced the engine in my 91 Ranger with one from a 91 Taurus without changing the head gaskets as I didn't know about the differences at the time. It has been 4 years and it doesn't get any hotter than the original one, although I believe i may have a small leak in my head gasket between 2 cylinders now.

I also live in Ohio where we usually only have a few days a year over 100 degrees.

wvfarmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03 ranger 4.0
Make / Model
99 ranger 3.0
Transmission
Manual
yes i have heard of it being done with out changing the gaskets but my advice is change the gaskts while heads are off have then checked for warpage hile its out its a lot easier to do the work i have used the torus motor but everything has to be changed

lndcrz47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
intake swap end to end ?

A 3.0 Vulcan FWD block & heads are the same as a RWD Vulcan 3.0, There is a difference in the head gaskets,intake exhaust manifolds, & accessories etc, But they can be swapped motor to motor. You need to change the head gaskets on a FWD to the RWD gaskets if your installing it into a Ranger as the FWD motor will run hotter than normal due to the Water pump cooling route differences if you leave the FWD head gaskets in place, change gaskets & your fine. Also there are diffeneces in the heads of Flex fuel vehicles versus gas only, The later model FFV heads have beehive springs, smaller valve stems & slighty higher compression due to the chamber differences. Mine was FFV motor in the 07 & 02 & the heads were identical. In my case the local yards wanted $800 or so for a Ranger 3.0 with 90K+ miles, I bought the Taurus 3.0 with 15K for $250.

JP02XLT
I am installing a 3.0 in my 90 Ranger from a 94 Sable,the intake will point to the firewall in original configuration,can I reverse the manifold to face forward ?,seems like a petty request but v6s are new to me and l don't want to ruin the 44k motor,thanks for any help - Ernie

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just use the stock upper intake manifold (and bolts) from your Ranger. As far as I know, the lower intake manifolds are the same, so putting the RWD/truck UIM on the FWD/car LIM should be a piece of cake, as long as you use the bolts from the Ranger.

Last edited:

lndcrz47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
l forgot one detail

Just use the stock upper intake manifold (and bolts) from your Ranger. As far as I know, the lower intake manifolds are the same, so putting the RWD/truck UIM on the FWD/car LIM should be a piece of cake, as long as you use the bolts from the Ranger.
sorry,the motor in the Ranger is a 2.9 v6,the Sable is a 3.0 v6,will this still work ? :shok:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals