• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 HP and or MPG increase

JoshMcMadMac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I guess you have never measured the blade area, and pitch on a mechanical fan before!!:D:D
Sure I have, and so have lots of other folks out there.

Just proving a point, e-fans don't have the cooling capacity of a mechical fan/clutch!!:icon_confused:
You are proving a point no one is arguing. Nowhere in this thread has anyone said anything about the cooling capacity of every fan out there, especially when you step over to the realm of diesel. I can tell you that a good electric fan will do a better job of cooling in place of mechanical fans in most instances, especially on the Ranger. Also, you are using a gasoline motor to turn the mechanical fan that (almost always) has over 100+ HP, and eats ~10HP on average. An electric fan does not use the engine, it uses its own electric motor to move air, typically <1HP. I am sure there are electric fans out there that can push a lot more air, but there is no point in reaching for that nonsense when we are clearly discussing this within the "average" world of daily automobiles.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sure I have, and so have lots of other folks out there.

If you had, you would know there is way more blade area, and a higher pitch on the mechanical fans! A mechanical fan will also spin higher than 2K RPM, the limit on a e-fan!!!

JoshMcMadMac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you had, you would know there is way more blade area, and a higher pitch on the mechanical fans! A mechanical fan will also spin higher than 2K RPM, the limit on a e-fan!!!
There is more to it than just area and pitch. Why do you need a fan to spin faster than 2K RPM?

Do you just argue for the sake of arguing? Do some homework on this, as it has been done all over the place and I am sure there is more than enough information on the internet to make it an easy research project. I love helping folks out and answering questions, but it really appears that you are just here to throw whatever silliness you can into the mix to try and stir me up. If you prefer to IM, PM, or email, perhaps that would be better for me to explain this to you, as you really seem to be trying to turn it into a feud instead of trying to comprehend.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
An electric fan does not use the engine,.

Where do you think the electrical power for the e-fan comes from????

This gets back to the original point, an e-fan is not as efficient as a mechanical fan due to the mechanical-electrical-mechanical conversions for the e-fan.....:D:D

JoshMcMadMac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Where do you think the electrical power for the e-fan comes from????

This gets back to the original point, an e-fan is not as efficient as a mechanical fan due to the mechanical-electrical-mechanical conversions for the e-fan.....:D:D
You are obviously intentionally misreading my posts at this point to annoy me. I made it clear that the fan itself is turned by a motor...the mechanical uses the engine as the motor, the electric does not. The electric motor is turned by electricity, which is made by the engine, but that is not the same things as what I was saying.

An electric fan is more efficient. I works as needed, when needed. A mechanical fan spins regardless of need. A mechanical fan draws the most air (and horsepower) at high speeds, when it is needed the least.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You are obviously intentionally misreading my posts at this point to annoy me. I made it clear that the fan itself is turned by a motor...the mechanical uses the engine as the motor, the electric does not. The electric motor is turned by electricity, which is made by the engine, but that is not the same things as what I was saying.

An electric fan is more efficient. I works as needed, when needed. A mechanical fan spins regardless of need. A mechanical fan draws the most air (and horsepower) at high speeds, when it is needed the least.
Do you want to change this statement you made then:

An electric fan does not use the engine

A mechanical fan spins regardless of need
What do you think the fan clutch does?????

JoshMcMadMac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do you want to change this statement you made then:

An electric fan does not use the engine

What do you think the fan clutch does?????
I am not digging at this. I will reiterate, you are obviously taking clips out of context to try and poke at me. You are worse than the media.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Your straight out efficiency and conversion pronouncements ASSUME equal propeller efficiency. Yes, the fan can be/is modelled as a propeller, or "screw".

I would not be surprised if Ford's angle was "we got a whole engine to turn this, let's make a screw that's easy to injection mold", whereas a specialty fan company might well put some extra brainsweat into blade shapes and airfoil profiles on the blades themselves, for greater driven efficiency... shroud shapes too.

NASA has extensive public domain tech libraries on such.

Obviously e-fans CAN pull the CFMs, even in the cramped sleek nose of a Pantera.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok, Time for me to point out something that's obvious to me but obviously not to everyone else.

From what I have seen over the years OEM type electric fans are MORE prone to failure than mechanical fans.
And by MANY times more prone to failure...
failure can come from many causes because of the complexity of the "system".

a Mechanical fan will turn if the engine is turning UNLESS the engine tosses the drive belt and if it does the water pump won't be turning anyway so you'd have other issues.

Now as for POWER required to turn that fan, the results there are Skewed (probably intentionally) by electric fan manufacturers.

Does it take 5-10hp to turn a mechanical fan at the engine's horsepower peak? Yep, it probably does.
But mostly because in high rpm operation the engine can "overpower" the ability of the thermo-vicsous clutch to slip.

You can literally DESTROY a fan clutch by consistantly spinning
it past it's design speed (but if you are you certainly aren't
concerned about mileage) two hours at 4000rpm with a 2.9 will usually destroy a shiny new fan clutch... (BTDT)

But in Highway cruise mode (at lower rpm) it takes far less power to spin it than the "worst case" figuires given above.

The real benefit to a mechanical fan is it's failure mode.
the fan itself almost never fails but the clutch can, and
while a fan clutch will slip excessively early in the failure
it won't do that for very long before it exibits the typical failure:
Locking solid after which it takes MUCH more power to turn
and is EASILY detected as a "P-47 at takeoff power" noise.

Most cars have electric fans because it is impractical (if not rediculous) to design a mechanically driven fan for a TRANSVERSE engine car.

And many of the cars that still do have longitudinal engines that use electric fans do it because of space or other engineerin considerations.

I applaud the poster above that uses an OEM electric fan from some other vehicle, because the aftermarket fans are utter CRAP by comparison

In the end the "Failure mode" of "Locked-up power drag" but the engine still gets cooled, is preferable to many of us more conservative people than the; "fan simply stops, engine doesn't get cooled" failure mode of the electric fan.

I'll be keeping the clutch fan on my 4.0.

I WILL NOT be designing some Rube Goldberg setup to put
a mechanical fan onto my classic Saab 900 Turbo.

Though I did slightly redesign the relay logic system that controls the fans.

In the factory setup there are two fans, either of which is capable of keeping the engine cool, though in practice the passenger side fan is controlled by the activation of the A/C system.
In my car BOTH fans are controlled by SEPERATE Relays triggered
by SEPERATE temperature switches and the A/C system is set up
to bypass the controlling temp switch.
However that isn't all I did I have a dash mounted switch that
Bypasses the temp switches AND the two fan relays and powers
both fans to on until I manually turn them off with a seperate relay.

And this is on a car that I have literally run for four-five MONTHS at a time with the fans bouncing around in the spare tire well, because from late October to early April the fans simply aren't needed aerodynamic forces drive sufficient air through the radiator to keep the engine cool even in extended Full throttle operation

and therein lies an important difference between cars and trucks.

Most cars with electric fans are designed for "passive" airflow
through the radiator Most trucks aren't.

so putting an electric fan into a car that is designed to survive with NO FAN AT ALL is quite a bit different from removing a NECISSARY mechanical fan from a truck that really NEEDS a powerful fan.

Factory engineers aren't as stupid, nor are factory accountants as stingy, as some here want to make out.

as for the "lets make a fan that's easy to injection mould"?
don't make me laugh. the fans are probably more optimized
for low rpm operation, which hurts them in private dyno testing,
because the factory figuired (correctly IMO) that if the engine was at high rpm for an extended period of time it was PROBABLY moving at sufficient speed for more effective passive airflow.

Remember that factory engineers are saddled with the requirement that they GUESS how somene in the field is going to abuse their best efforts, so they design in a certain ammount of overkill.

I drive a truck and I try to post-design in a bit more "overkill"

Thus I have the higher flow volume water pump (superior impeller design) from a 4.0SOHC, the fan clutch and fan from a 4.0SOHC.
An auto trans radiator (even though I have a manual trans)

the penalties from having too much cooling capacity is a price
I'm more than willing to pay... especially after STILL being able to
drive 1500 miles home after my radiator became partially
plugged internally...

Not to mention that fans and radiators become less efficient at
the 6000-8000ft of elevation at my brother's place than they are at the 500-1000ft when I'm local to my home.

And I actually use my truck to tow.... and that's another thing entirely....

there is no electric fan I'd trust my engine to that can keep up with the heat generated by a 4.0 at 3500rpm dragging a 5000-6000lb trailer up a 7mile long 8% grade.

There is a huge difference between necissary minimums
and needed for "worst case scenario".

you are free to redesign your own truck to your own ideas, it's a free country. But you must sit there and suck it up when you guess wrong, melt your engine and then come to the forum whining about the destruction.

Not believing in Railroad locomotives will not prevent you from getting squashed when you stand on the tracks with your eyes closed and your ears plugged.

AD

Last edited:

1yldndn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
geezz guys I asked about some upgrade stuff for some extra mpg and hp's. But keep going this is getting good.....AND IN THIS CORNER.....

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, Time for me to point out something that's obvious to me but obviously not to everyone else.

From what I have seen over the years OEM type electric fans are MORE prone to failure than mechanical fans.
And by MANY times more prone to failure...
failure can come from many causes because of the complexity of the "system".

a Mechanical fan will turn if the engine is turning UNLESS the engine tosses the drive belt and if it does the water pump won't be turning anyway so you'd have other issues.

Now as for POWER required to turn that fan, the results there are Skewed (probably intentionally) by electric fan manufacturers.

Does it take 5-10hp to turn a mechanical fan at the engine's horsepower peak? Yep, it probably does.
But mostly because in high rpm operation the engine can "overpower" the ability of the thermo-vicsous clutch to slip.

You can literally DESTROY a fan clutch by consistantly spinning
it past it's design speed (but if you are you certainly aren't
concerned about mileage) two hours at 4000rpm with a 2.9 will usually destroy a shiny new fan clutch... (BTDT)

But in Highway cruise mode (at lower rpm) it takes far less power to spin it than the "worst case" figuires given above.

The real benefit to a mechanical fan is it's failure mode.
the fan itself almost never fails but the clutch can, and
while a fan clutch will slip excessively early in the failure
it won't do that for very long before it exibits the typical failure:
Locking solid after which it takes MUCH more power to turn
and is EASILY detected as a "P-47 at takeoff power" noise.

Most cars have electric fans because it is impractical (if not rediculous) to design a mechanically driven fan for a TRANSVERSE engine car.

And many of the cars that still do have longitudinal engines that use electric fans do it because of space or other engineerin considerations.

I applaud the poster above that uses an OEM electric fan from some other vehicle, because the aftermarket fans are utter CRAP by comparison

In the end the "Failure mode" of "Locked-up power drag" but the engine still gets cooled, is preferable to many of us more conservative people than the; "fan simply stops, engine doesn't get cooled" failure mode of the electric fan.

I'll be keeping the clutch fan on my 4.0.

I WILL NOT be designing some Rube Goldberg setup to put
a mechanical fan onto my classic Saab 900 Turbo.

Though I did slightly redesign the relay logic system that controls the fans.

In the factory setup there are two fans, either of which is capable of keeping the engine cool, though in practice the passenger side fan is controlled by the activation of the A/C system.
In my car BOTH fans are controlled by SEPERATE Relays triggered
by SEPERATE temperature switches and the A/C system is set up
to bypass the controlling temp switch.
However that isn't all I did I have a dash mounted switch that
Bypasses the temp switches AND the two fan relays and powers
both fans to on until I manually turn them off with a seperate relay.

And this is on a car that I have literally run for four-five MONTHS at a time with the fans bouncing around in the spare tire well, because from late October to early April the fans simply aren't needed aerodynamic forces drive sufficient air through the radiator to keep the engine cool even in extended Full throttle operation

and therein lies an important difference between cars and trucks.

Most cars with electric fans are designed for "passive" airflow
through the radiator Most trucks aren't.

so putting an electric fan into a car that is designed to survive with NO FAN AT ALL is quite a bit different from removing a NECISSARY mechanical fan from a truck that really NEEDS a powerful fan.

Factory engineers aren't as stupid, nor are factory accountants as stingy, as some here want to make out.

as for the "lets make a fan that's easy to injection mould"?
don't make me laugh. the fans are probably more optimized
for low rpm operation, which hurts them in private dyno testing,
because the factory figuired (correctly IMO) that if the engine was at high rpm for an extended period of time it was PROBABLY moving at sufficient speed for more effective passive airflow.

Remember that factory engineers are saddled with the requirement that they GUESS how somene in the field is going to abuse their best efforts, so they design in a certain ammount of overkill.

I drive a truck and I try to post-design in a bit more "overkill"

Thus I have the higher flow volume water pump (superior impeller design) from a 4.0SOHC, the fan clutch and fan from a 4.0SOHC.
An auto trans radiator (even though I have a manual trans)

the penalties from having too much cooling capacity is a price
I'm more than willing to pay... especially after STILL being able to
drive 1500 miles home after my radiator became partially
plugged internally...

Not to mention that fans and radiators become less efficient at
the 6000-8000ft of elevation at my brother's place than they are at the 500-1000ft when I'm local to my home.

And I actually use my truck to tow.... and that's another thing entirely....

there is no electric fan I'd trust my engine to that can keep up with the heat generated by a 4.0 at 3500rpm dragging a 5000-6000lb trailer up a 7mile long 8% grade.

There is a huge difference between necissary minimums
and needed for "worst case scenario".

you are free to redesign your own truck to your own ideas, it's a free country. But you must sit there and suck it up when you guess wrong, melt your engine and then come to the forum whining about the destruction.

Not believing in Railroad locomotives will not prevent you from getting squashed when you stand on the tracks with your eyes closed and your ears plugged.

AD

Great summary AD!!!

And you originated a quote in a recent thread, that has to be my favorite:

"Most of the "mods" people do on their trucks is somewhere between
turd polishing and mental masterbation"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals