• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Liter Guys Only!

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Hey I have been wondering for awhile how most of you all's 3.0's are running. :icon_bounceblue: Mine now has about 143,500 miles and it knocks like a son of a bitch until it warms up fully. It still seems to perform very good though. From my experience with the 3.0 liters, they are just a knocking engine. We have two 2006 models at my workplace, and they have only about 3,000 miles on them. They also knock a bit, which seems ridiculous for being that new. How does yours run, if you have one, and how many miles does it have?

Also, I hear the heads are notorious on the 3.0's for failing. Could this have something to do with the knocking?

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine only makes noise idling when fully warmed up, and then you have to listen for it. No smoke, 160K miles

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
mine runs great 120,000 (95) driver side leaks exhaust at the manifold, so you hear ticking a little, no knock, seafoamed it when i bought it last year, fire dept. came and thought my whole street was on fire!!!lol
valvoline high milage engine oil every 3,000 miles, kn&n air filter, FoMoCo oil filter, 8mm wires, autolite plugs, coolant likes to disapear from the reserve tank, not alot though,just evaporating.

by the way "almost clueless" nice sig. "what the hell is an aluminum falcon!?!" that episode was great!

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
mine runs great 120,000 (95) driver side leaks exhaust at the manifold, so you hear ticking a little, no knock, seafoamed it when i bought it last year, fire dept. came and thought my whole street was on fire!!!lol
valvoline high milage engine oil every 3,000 miles, kn&n air filter, FoMoCo oil filter, 8mm wires, autolite plugs, coolant likes to disapear from the reserve tank, not alot though,just evaporating.

by the way "almost clueless" nice sig. "what the hell is an aluminum falcon!?!" that episode was great!
I like your sig bro. Is very true.

Just_Randy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine doesn't knock at all. Cold or hot. 178,000 miles. Other stuff that has gone wrong I listed here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21635

Your oil might be too thick if it knocks when its cold. Should use 5w-30. Never heard anything about the heads being bad on these 3.0s. Now, the NEW 4.6 and 5.4.... YES. Those suck! My buddy had 3 different ones and each blew a spark plug out.

One thing to watch on these Rangers (maybe other 3.0 vehicles too).... EVERYTHING electronic is crap!!! If a wire comes out of it, you can expect to have to replace it some time or another. But the steel on steel parts are excellent.

QUOTE:"What happened to crank windows, stick shift, and manual locks with a vinyl seat and rubber floors? The last REAL trucks, in my opinion were built back in the late 70's, when dashes were steel, Axles were solid, and transmissions got shifted by hand." HELL YA!!

My truck has crank windows, stick shift, manual lockers, cloth seat (better than vinyl if you ask me), and rubber floors. This truck was exactly what I wanted when I went shopping.... and I found it for $3500 with brand new TSL's. Barely a scratch on it. The only thing I had to grudingly accept was the electronic t-case shifter. Oh well,,, I know how it works and can keep it almost as reliable as a manual shifter with care n maintenance.

BARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
mine has 700 miles on the new motor i build the guy i bought it from drove it into a water
puddle and through a rod out the oil pan. it does not knock it sound great

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals