• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 loss of vacuum

El Toro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering if this happened to anyone else. Yesterday I started my Ford Ranger 3.0L and it started fine. After I pulled out of my driveway I had no brakes at all. So I pulled back into the driveway and went under the truck as it sounded like I had an exhaust leak. Couldn't find anything obvious so I got back into the truck and it was idling rather rough. After about 5 minutes it smoothed out and my brakes came back. I seemed to experience a total loss of vacuum and I'm not sure where to start my investigation. Now I've heard of vacuum leaks causing rough idling but never enough to cause my brake booster to fail. Any suggestions? Thanks

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Get some vise grips and carry them with you in the truck. The next time it happens, take them and pinch the rubber vacuum line shut that goes to the booster. If the engine smooths out, I would suspect the booster has a problem.

If the engine is running, you should have some brake booster action. If you had no vacuum at all at idle, the engine would stall.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Had no brakes or had no power brakes?

Pedal went to floor or couldn't push pedal at all?

El Toro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Get some vise grips and carry them with you in the truck. The next time it happens, take them and pinch the rubber vacuum line shut that goes to the booster. If the engine smooths out, I would suspect the booster has a problem.

If the engine is running, you should have some brake booster action. If you had no vacuum at all at idle, the engine would stall.
I will. Thanks for the idea. 👍

aldon

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercury mainer
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering if this happened to anyone else. Yesterday I started my Ford Ranger 3.0L and it started fine. After I pulled out of my driveway I had no brakes at all. So I pulled back into the driveway and went under the truck as it sounded like I had an exhaust leak. Couldn't find anything obvious so I got back into the truck and it was idling rather rough. After about 5 minutes it smoothed out and my brakes came back. I seemed to experience a total loss of vacuum and I'm not sure where to start my investigation. Now I've heard of vacuum leaks causing rough idling but never enough to cause my brake booster to fail. Any suggestions? Thanks
EGR stuck open? Or leaking

El Toro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have not checked the egr valve. I will do thanks. Could the booster check valve be faulty?

Wahoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual

I recently had a vacuum leak too, didn't affect brakes. The leak was at the passenger side firewall. A firm vacuum line that went to a black reservoir, mounted on ac equipment piece. The vacuum line just made a hard U turn into black reservoir. (Not sure what it is for or does) but the just I'm getting to is there are a lot of vacuum lines that feed off main vacuum sources, so check any vacuum line you see. Also on drivers side there is a knob of vacuum nipples, some used some capped. Visually check and maybe spray areas with carb cleaner see if RPM change for leak.

If anyone knows what black reservoir on firewall , passenger side is for , I'd appreciate info.

Thx wahoo

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The vacuum reservoir is to give all the vacuum devices a supply of vacuum when the engine is pulling a long hill. Vacuum is only developed by the throttle being partially closed. When you open the throttle up to get some power, there is no vacuum being generated by the engine. So there is a check valve in the main line to the reservoir that isolates the engine during low vacuum events, and the vacuum devices can still get a supply from the reservoir till the throttle closes back and starts supplying vacuum again.

This situation is worse with small engines, so much so that some small cars actually have a electric vacuum pump.

Wahoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Ok, that would make some sence, I never looked for a check valve, do you know where it's located in vacuum line? Picture of check valve?
There was a short section of Ridged vacuum line missing so I never saw this vacuum line stock to know if I'm missing a part.

Thx for insight

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I varied by different years and different models, but sometimes the check was made right into the inlet of the reservoir.

Wahoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thx I'll look into that .
Appreciate the info

Wahoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
So now that I kinda know what it's called . I did some more research. It's a vacuum resivor for the AC system. The lines are all kinda treed of a main vacuum line so it did affect vacuum to the other sensors and egr system. Leak plugged no matter what , so all is good for now. Fixed drive ability, smoother, and it's a work in progress

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals