• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 rebuild

Contrldsub

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got an engine for free. and my tired 173k miles motor isnt pulling very well these days so this is what im doing

the motor was sitting in a field wrapped in plastic. so i was optomistic. wrong. got it mounted up on the stand and pulled the heads. the intake ports all had rust in them and the right side cylinders had some rust on the walls, with the number 4 being the worst.

started out knowing that i was missing the intake manifold, a pushrod (no idea how one was missing), crank possition sensor, and all the accesories.

ordered up a complete "re-ring" kit thru a motor building buddy of mine for $200. ended up calling and cancelling the rings cause i decided to have the motor bored and honed so i dont have to worry about the rust having pitted anything. orderd some .030 over sized pistons and rings and got the cam, cam bearings, block, heads and valve seals down to the machine shop.

hes taking .020 off the deck as well as the boring and honing, sand blasting, magnafluxing the heads, setting the cam bearings and cam in the block and painting it all up pretty for me.

more to follow probably next week when i get that stuff back. ive got all the bearings for the bottom end, new water pump, new clutch kit, seals for the top and bottom.

any imput or advice is welcome. :)

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You were missing the pushrod because you have to remove it to remove the lower intake.

Contrldsub

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You were missing the pushrod because you have to remove it to remove the lower intake.
yeah but just one? the other 11 were there lol. but anyway no worries since i am ordering new ones to fit after the decking anyway.

Installed my electric fan today. and then broke my throttle cable... yay lol

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah but just one? the other 11 were there lol. but anyway no worries since i am ordering new ones to fit after the decking anyway.

Installed my electric fan today. and then broke my throttle cable... yay lol
Yup, just one. #3 intake I believe. When you put it together you'll see why.

miller time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1999
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 duals out the back 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
how much was the rebuilt i need to rebuilt mine and wanting a estament

Contrldsub

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how much was the rebuilt i need to rebuilt mine and wanting a estament
well ive got a bunch more into it that is really nessecary unless you need machine work. a "re-ring" kit is about 200 or so with shipping. if your rebuilding yourself thats about what it costs but its suggested you replace things like your oil pump, water pump and timing set. that all costs more. oil pump is the most expensive but the water pump and timing set will run about 100 total. i have no idea what it would cost to have someone do the work but if it was a shop i would estimate about 1000 total? with the parts and machining and new clutch ive got about 1000 into it. but im doing all the assembly myself.

Contrldsub

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got the block back yesterday. spent my afternoon putting the crank, cam and pistons in. cleaned up the lifters and got those in too. after i was done and cleaning up i was sweeping up and turns out the spring from inside the rear main seal came out while i was putting it in. so today im taking that out again and putting a new one in. today will probably be the heads and timing set along with the new oil pump, water pump and rhino lined oil pan. most everything else has to wait until i pull my motor from the truck so i can swap over the intake manifold, headers and valve covers.

Contrldsub

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
motor is in and has run great for 3 days... but then... started it this morning let it run a min then took off. dropped my son at daycare and the oil pressure dropped to zilch. its fine when im driving but at idle it drops and the check gauge light comes on.. any ideas?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals