• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.55 gears and tires

soupcan76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
First post and its a question that I am sure you guys are tired of answering. I bought the truck 2 years ago it is a 1990 supercab 4x4 with a 3" body lift . Stock tire size was 215/75/15 I am not a wheeler mostly highway , but I do work on a farm so 4wd gets used often. I searched and found info on gearing to 4.10 or 4.56 for 31's but my question is am I beating my transmission (A4ld) and engine(4.0L OHV) to death running 31's with a 3.55 rear end ? I ask because it is time to replace the tires that came with the truck they are 31's. I would really like to stick with the bigger tires as I like the look but if it comes to my wallet smaller tires are cheaper than re gearing at this point. The transmission has a large aftermarket cooler installed and I don't feel it lacks power it's a truck, I have a ford P71 if I want to drag race lol. I just want to know if I am gonna cause undo wear on the engine and transmission. So finally the question stick with 31's or go back to stock size, well okay I wont go that small 235/75/15 ?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have installed smaller tires on 2 Rangers.
The increase in "felt power" is dramatic.

I have 235/65-16s on my 2000 3.0 4wd MO5D with 4.10ls.
I typically pull out in 2nd gear (it's flat terrain here).

My other 2000 Ranger 2wd 2.5 MO5D with 4.10open (gave it to my son) has 235/75-15s on it. This was actually a larger tire from the 215s it came with when I bought it, but I originally put the 235/65-16s on it because I had the rims and wanted better handling. Then my son and I swapped wheels and tires when his wouldn't pass inspection.

I think you'll be content with 235/75-15s. They aren't that small and you'll notice the additional power. Truth be told, it'll get better gas mileage too, turning less mass, less unsprung weight, AND your brakes will stop it better.

They might look a little small with the body lift, but who really cares? I know I can't see it from here and certainly won't be ribbing you about it.

soupcan76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the reply. I had figured better gas mileage from smaller tires, hadn't considered the braking . I plan on going to 4.10 gears later this year but I need to get tires like right now lol. So I will most likely go with 235's just for the savings in gas I can put that savings toward gears . Looking funny with smaller tires and the body lift is the least of my concerns, so many other things on the truck I could be ribbed about .

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah, 235/75R15s should do fine with that gear ratio.

The aux cooler I'm sure has helped in keeping your trans alive (especially if you've done any towing or stump-pulling).

Welcome to the board. :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals