• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3 codes, smell fuel in engine bay

riverjig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have had this misfire on bank 6 for some time now. I have replaced the fuel filter, replaced spark plugs per man. spec and gapped correctly, have replaced coil pack, and wires. I now have P0305, P0306, and P0174

Its bank 5 and 6 misfire and bank 2 running too lean. My truck has no horses now. It obvious why but its ridiculously underpowered. When i stop at a light or when I get home, I smell fuel for some time. Ive tried to visually inspect for fuel leaks, but i feel I might be wasting my time. Im not sure what to do anymore.

I also noticed im getting roughly 10mpg. this is horrible. This is now beyond my expertise. I HAVE done some pretty extensive research on this forum and have read numerous things from vac leak to cat is clogged. With all three of these codes grouped together, Im curious if thats not a red flag for some of you pros out there.

I also, in trying to alleviate the bank 6 misfire had the injector replaced a couple months ago. That turned out to be a waste of money and am now set on doing as much as humanly possible myself. The bank 6 code came on shortly after replacing it.

Any suggestions would help. I also read compression test?

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
The gas smell may be coming from unburnt fuel passing through your exhaust. I had a similar probem when I changed my coil. I got the wrong one and two cylinders wouldnt fire. To check your coil(side note be very carefull when you do this) one at a time with the engine off unplug one wire from the coil and stick a piece of metal, like a deep socket, between the coil and the wire. Have a friend start the truck and using a grounded tester light touch the metal, if the rpms drop then it is working fine. If nothing happens then there is something wrong with that line. Again be carefull as it does hurt...a lot! Good luck, I hope I've helped.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have had this misfire on bank 6 for some time now. I have replaced the fuel filter, replaced spark plugs per man. spec and gapped correctly, have replaced coil pack, and wires. I now have P0305, P0306, and P0174

Its bank 5 and 6 misfire and bank 2 running too lean. My truck has no horses now. It obvious why but its ridiculously underpowered. When i stop at a light or when I get home, I smell fuel for some time. Ive tried to visually inspect for fuel leaks, but i feel I might be wasting my time. Im not sure what to do anymore.

I also noticed im getting roughly 10mpg. this is horrible. This is now beyond my expertise. I HAVE done some pretty extensive research on this forum and have read numerous things from vac leak to cat is clogged. With all three of these codes grouped together, Im curious if thats not a red flag for some of you pros out there.

I also, in trying to alleviate the bank 6 misfire had the injector replaced a couple months ago. That turned out to be a waste of money and am now set on doing as much as humanly possible myself. The bank 6 code came on shortly after replacing it.

Any suggestions would help. I also read compression test?
I am a little confused........first off........your misfires are on "cylinders" 5 and 6.....not bank 5 and 6..........the p0174 is showing a lean condition on bank 2( drivers side)

are you saying you had a misfire on cylinder #6 and to solve the issue you changed all the mentioned parts and now have the 2 misfires and the lean code?.........

any chance that when you did the work you crossed the #5 and 6 wire?....please double check the ignition wires........do you have a Haynes or other manual?........the diagram for the wires should be on the radiator support?

riverjig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First, I did check spark and the wires are getting spark to the plugs.

I will check the spark plug wires here in 10 minutes. I am boggle as well. It started out just as bank 6 misfire but then the bank 5 misfire and bank two lean code came in....Lemme check

riverjig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wires are correct. Like I said I know Ive checked the obvious but it sure doesnt hurt to check again. Again, Ive heard the cat being blocked causes problems but I dont know how it would relate to this...

ANy other ideas guys?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals